Opening issues

It's been a week of shocking the pool. It's a nice milky light green. I still have FC drop at night, but it's slowing. I'm adding liquid chlorine three times a day and brushing at least twice. I need to vacuum a little more than I am, but I had to fight a pump leak in the middle of everything.

I have a Hayward Max-Flo SP2708X10 1 HP pump that's about a year old. After seeing a wet area around the pump and sand filter a few days that we didn't have rain, I went looking under things and found the pump leaking under the motor housing. I suspected the shaft seal and bought one today and installed it. No more leak! But the guy at the pool store that knows my setup says my pump is undersized and I'm going to be blowing that seal more often. Is that right?

Here's my current numbers (before I brought FC back up to 13).

FC 10
CC 1
TC 11
pH 7.2
T/A 110
CH 140
CYA 20
Temp 64

According to the poolcalc I should be shocking to 11, but I added enough CYA to reach 30. With backwashing and vacuuming to waste a couple of times, I'm not sure if I should use the 20 number. It's been just about a week since I added the CYA, but it took two or three days before it was all dissolved from the socks. I was just planning on treating it as 30 for shocking purposes and waiting until next Monday to add more. Does that sound OK?

I've been keeping my pH at 7.2 while cleaning up the algae. Since the pool is still at least light green and using chlorine during the night, should I leave it there or start to bring it up now? With my T/A at 110, I was planning on bring it up by aeration when it's time to raise it. Does that sound OK? I have a fountain in the shallow end I was going to use to aerate. How long should I use that at a time before checking pH?

I've gotten some DE to add to the sand filter to try to give it a boost, but right now it's taking about two days for my filter to go from it's clean pressure (20 PSI) to what I'm using at the backwash pressure (26 PSI). I tried some DE in there too the other day, I added one pound and after five minutes the pressure was about 21 PSI, but after an hour it was already at 26 PSI and the flow out the returns was really low. I'm thinking I need to wait before I do that again. Is that right?

Thanks for all the help so far. I'm looking forward to that sparkling clear pool that's easy to take care of.... Someday.

-- Pete

DE in a sand filter is not a good idea while fighting algae. The filter is already catching lots of stuff, and there is no need to improve it beyond that until the water clears up.

Yes, treat the CYA as if it was 30 until the next time you test the CYA level.

Don't trust PH readings when your FC level is above 10. Try to get a PH reading at some moment when your FC level is low.

Raising PH with aeration is fine, unless you are in a hurry. As long as your PH is at least 7.0 there isn't any need to hurry.

Thanks Jason. I'll wait before adding the DE to the filter and will keep and eye on my FC and make sure I get a pH reading with it under 10 soon.

Anyone have any idea about the seal on the pump? I'm hoping I don't need to buy them by the case. :)

NOT AGAIN!!

Four days after installing the new shaft seal on the Max Flo pump, it's leaking again!! I'm starting to believe the guy at the pool store on that point at least. We were hoping to use this pump for the rest of the season, but I'm going to spend more in shaft seals than I would on a new pump.

Hayward doc's say that the only difference between the 1 HP and 1.5 HP pumps are the motor and impeller. After replacing the shaft seal and having had to remove both the motor and the impeller, I know I could make the change myself, I just don't know if it's worth it. That would cost me about $275, but I think a new pump to fit this installation is going to run around $600.

Anyone have any advice on upgrading this pump versus a new pump? Should I just have the service guys from the pool store come out and size the correct pump for me?

Help. The pool isn't even clear yet and I'm dealing with pumping issues!! (I realize this might be a factor in WHY the pool isn't clear yet too. I'm just bummed.)

Thanks,

-- Pete

It's Monday, that must mean new seals are on the way for the pump!! I'm changing all the internal seals one last time. If it leaks after this I'm either putting in a new motor and all new seals or getting a new pump.

The pool is still light green, maybe even teal. It's a pretty color if it wasn't my pool water. I'm starting to see further down though and am vacuuming daily.

Last night 9PM
FC - 12.5
CC - .5

This morning 7AM
FC - 11.5
CC - .5

My CYA settled out at 20, so I'm adding 1 1/2 pounds today to try to get it up to 30, I'll see how that goes over the next week. Once when my FC was down to 7 I tested pH and it's 7.2 STILL! I've been using the fountain to aerate, it seems like it's going to take a little more than forever to get the pH up to 7.6. My TA is 110, so I'd like to raise pH without increasing that, so that's why I'm trying the aeration route.

My CH is 140 which seems to be OK for a vinyl liner according to the charts, but after enough reading I'm thinking I may want to raise it to 220 - 240 because I have fiberglass steps. I'm planning on waiting until the water is clear before tackling that, is that OK?

So, FC holding within 1 ppm overnight - Check!
CC .5 ppm or less - Check!
Water no longer cloudy - No Check!

Keep on shockin'...

Hoping for a crystal clear pool.... someday.

I would go ahead and shock for one more night, but it sounds to me like the algae is all dead and you can let the FC drop to normal after tonight (assuming it holds again). Sand filters just seem to take longer to clear up dead algae.

Your plan for the CH is a good one. :goodjob:

Good luck with the pump issue. :wink:

I finally have a nice clear pool!! It was still cloudy Wednesday before Memorial Day and the family wanted to be able to swim this past weekend (I can't see the bottom, kids can't swim, doesn't matter what the numbers are...) Anyway, my FC was holding overnight and my CC has been steady at .5 ppm, and I've been brushing and vacuuming and even had some DE in the sand filter to try to clear it up. It was getting better, but just slowly. When I turned on the light, I could basically see what looked almost like white dust floating by it, so I decided to try a clarifier. I added 3.6 oz of BioGuard Polysheen Blue and after 24 hours the difference was huge! I did that one more time and the pool was crystal clear!!

I know it took all the work getting the algae killed and all the big stuff out and I believe the filter would have finally got it all cleared up, but with the family chomping at the bit to swim and everything else looking OK, it seemed like a good time to try the clarifier. I'm just glad it worked.

I'm still dealing with pump issues. We've decided to purchase a new pump locally so we have someone to hold accountable if it has issues. The pool store recommended a Hayward Super Pump 1 HP. Any thoughts on that? Price is a big concern, I know I'd save money with a more efficient pump, but initial price seems to be winning the battle over ongoing cost.

I also did something stupid today. I used my "Chlorine Only" tube to do both my CH and T/A tests. I rinsed it a lot after I realized it, but don't know what effect it will have on future tests. I know my CH and T/A numbers for today will be a little suspect, I'll re-run them later.

Right now, the numbers say:

FC - 8.5
CC - 0.5
TC - 9.0
pH - 7.2 (aerating water now)
T/A - 130
CH - 110
CYA - 30
Temp - 85

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.