Opening Intex (First time Opener in MI!)

May 12, 2017
S. E Michigan
Finally, Michigan weather is letting up a bit and I am itching to open my pool. A few things:

1. The two pillows I put in the pool over the winter completely deflated within days, sigh. And how the heck do you guys keep your covers on all winter? Everytime we had bad storms or high winds the cover would blow off. Most recently, today! Which means all the yucky brown garbage water mixed in with the rest of the water. I put it back on best I could, but I did peek and my water looks a bit brownish now. UGH.

2. I did pretty well last year as a pool newbie with TFP. I am not going to lie though, I feel like I forgot everything I learned, haha.

3. I read that I need to replace my test kit every year...it stayed in my garage and i didnt even think about the cold temps in Michigan. I would like to use the TF-100 kit this year...any place that I can order it with super fast shipping? Was hoping to take my pool cover off this weekend :) How is the shipping at TFTestkits?

4. Wanda Pool Vacuums? Worth it? We basically box a box Intex pool last year and are looking to do some upgrades this season. I read about this "Wanda" Vacuum and I am assuming that its much better then the Intex vacuum that came with my pool. Any insight? Would it work with my system (1600 gph Sand Filter and SWCG) Probably not upgrading our filter this year as it seemed to do an ok job last season as did the SWCG.

5. Best Temperature Gauge Recommendations?

6. And finally...if I order my test kit and it does not come in this weekend, am I still safe to take my cover off and start my clean up? Filling pool and doing my hookups? Refreshing myself with Pool School etc...The water here in Michigan is still very cold and we are still getting low temps the majorty of days so I can imagine my water isnt even close in temp to grow algae.

Thanks!!

Order the test kit from tftestkits. The shipping is not bad at all!

As far as pulling your cover, you can do that. If your water is kinda messed up from dumping, it won't get any worse. Rake the bottom of any leaves. Give it a good brushing. Hook up the pump n filter ext.... Fill it up. By then, you should have your kit and you can get started.

Thanks! I ordered the kit and its already shipped.

Unfortunately, we have very high winds today and the cover was completely blown off of all sides. I cannot get it back on and the majority of the water that was on top of the cover is now mixed in with the water that was underneath (birds have been using the area for a bird bath, sigh) and the water looks brown/green but I can see the bottom. Do i even worry about pumping off the water now? I dont want it to sink to the bottom so I feel I need to just get it out. I am home solo today so I dont have much help! I can probably maneuver it off in a way that I can get all the pine needles and leaves to come with it, but the water will all mix.

Clearly I need some tips on how to secure my pool cover in the winter because it has been such an issue when its windy despite having a wire and pully wrapped around the pool weaved through the pool tarp.

We have the steel frame Intex (see below), and we never cover our pool over the winter up here in Western Ontario. We get too much snow and wind. We do drain the water below the lowest hole first and take in all of the pumps, etc. We leave the sand filter outside but remove the gauge as it was ruined by the cold last winter. The water freezes into a big ice chunk until April. All good!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.