opening green pool with BBB

The caps can be removed. I just took them off and stuck the water hose inside it. No yucky water came out. As far as the bottom drain, the hubby "thinks" he has it turned on. Is there a test we can do to see if he has it turned the right way and make sure it is working?

That's good to hear. Have you posted a pic of your equipment pad? Sorry for not looking back through 5 pages of posts to see. :(
If there's anything laying on the bottom like a leaf or something you can nudge it toward the MD and it should get sucked in if it's flowing.

Well of course there is not a leaf in my pool!!! LOL I will throw one in and get it down there. And you didn't miss a pic of my equipment, I just posted pics of the pool. Do most valves follow the lefty loosey, righty tighty rule? To turn it up, I should turn it to the left? Those things are so tight, I may have to wait hubby comes home for some muscle!

Of course i knew a leaf wouldn't dare get within a mile of your pool! :mrgreen: In fact you probably had a hard time even finding one that didn't jump right back out as soon as you dropped it in there! :)

Sounds like you need to shut off the skimmer valve and open the MD valve. just to make sure you're getting good flow through it. You're probably getting some and that's probably not the problem but it's good to make sure.

Thanks bama! Those leaves know better than to mess with my water! Not strong enough to move the valves so must wait for hubby to get home. :( We will do what you recommend. I have been keeping the water at shock level since 6 this morning. Maybe I will get all those nasty organics today! I plan to run FC loss test again tonight. Thanks for all of your help!

OK pool friends, I need to borrow some POP. I am getting exhausted from checking the water every 1-2 hours. The water has been clear since Sunday. Since 6 this morning, I have brought it back to shock level 5 times. Since I am not familiar with my pool numbers yet, I am not sure what normal FC usage is. I don't want to lose ground, but how long can my liner and pumps hold up to these high FC. Since I got the TF100, I have been testing nearly every hour and adding bleach. That is 5 days. I have spent a small fortune on bleach and I am extremely frustrated. The last test at 6:30 showed the FC at 16.5. (down from shock level of 20). My target FC is 5 or 6 with my CYA of 40 or 50. Would it be a good idea to let it drop to 5 or 6 and then see if FC holds overnight? Getting desperate! Help!

Hi MM,

You are doing good and you are so close..........

I suggest that you bring it back to shock level again tonight, late, and check it as early as possible in the morn.

We know you are tired , but once this ordeal is finished, you will be floating in the very easy-going 'maintenance' stage.

Keep up the good work. We are all watching and waiting with you..... time is near, POP :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just re-read the posts I missed - and wanted to reassure you it was okay for you to swim the other day :) the water was clear and swimming up to shock level is perfectly fine so don't feel guilty or anything.
The other thing I was going to tell you is it's okay to just shock in the evening now, hopefully you'll find your source for the drop soon. You're doing great, pool looks fabulous! :)

I have scrubbed every inch of this pool. Today, I will scrub the skimmer basket. I am beginning to think there is something inside the main drain, just under the cover. It has suction, but there are dark places between the plastic slats, and when I brush they do not go away. The only thing I know to do is unscrew the top and see what is there. I know I am getting old, because I can't touch the bottom like I used to! Hurts my ears! I don't even know if I can stay down there long enough to unscrew the cover. Glad to know I don't have to test evey hour today. I already need a refill for my test and I haven't had it a week! Thanks for the POP. I really needed it! I am so thankful for all the advice and tips.

If your main drain has some suction then I wouldn't try to remove it unless you really want to. Having some suction means that the high FC water is passing by whatever's there and will kill it.

If you just want something to do, you could take a PVC pipe and hold the end of it at the MD and pour a quart or two of bleach in it and let it get sucked into the MD. I don't know that it's needed but sometimes having something to do is better than just waiting.

I am pleased to announce an FC overnight loss of .5!!!!!!!!!!! I feel like I have just won an award and should give a thank you speech! I would like to thank all of the TFC pool warriors that have helped me reach this point. I would not be here without your help! Kidding aside, I really do thank all of you for helping get a handle on this pool! We leave for the beach tomorrow and I will be less worried knowing that the organics are gone. Based on my CYA of 40 - 50, my target FC is 5-6. Right now the FC is at 11. Here is my plan. I know I will lose FC to sunlight so I will test tonight, and add to get FC to 6. Isn't there a way to tell how much bleach to add without the calculator? My cousin is coming over everyday and I guess I should leave my test kit (she has become my best friend) so he can test the FC. I am taking my laptop with me so he won't have the calculator. Any suggestions? I will be gone from Saturday to Saturday. :)

Congratulations! :party: :party: :whoot: :party: :party:

Going on vacation - guess you feel like you need one after all that work! :mrgreen:

Well, your cuz could add appx. 3ppm chlorine each evening.

Also, I suggest you aim for a target of 6 to 8, just a little higher.

Have fun :-D

Congratulations! :punkrock: I know you feel like celebrating!

I agree with Butterfly, have him add 3ppm per day or you could have him test, then call you to enter the numbers into PC and tell him how much to add if that's possible.

At any rate Congrats again on your fine award!!! :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Thanks again for all the help! You won't hear from me for a while! I will be soaking up the sun (or oil) on Okaloosa Island. Either way, I will try not to worry about the pool water! It is in good hands and I know I can fix it when I get back if something goes wrong. I have TFP on my side! No worries here! So long for now! :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.