easy-e

Feb 20, 2018
Monmouth County, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
This will be my third season managing my own pool, and I've done pretty well so far. Only had one algae issue when I left a family member in charge and they disregarded my instructions :rolleyes:

Anyway - we had new plaster put in at the beginning of last season. No issues, the pH tended to drift up but I understand that to be normal and I managed it accordingly.

I opened the pool early so I can monitor any issues easily, pool is now clean and clear, just needs to be balanced. I have a good understanding of how to address each number below normally, but I wasn't sure if there was anything special to keep in mind in light of the somewhat new plaster (about 10 months old at this point).

Basically, just want to know if I should do anything different than usual.

This morning's results:

FC 0
CC 0
pH 8.2
TA 40
CH 150
CYA 30 - this test throws me, the dot was clearly visible still at 30, but it's the lowest the test allows.
Temp - 60*

Plan:

FC is already addressed for the moment with liquid chlorine.

As far as the pH/TA - should I just address both per TFP app recommendations? I addressed the pH last year with muriatic acid (carefully). This is the first time I've had to actually touch the TA, but baking soda is easy enough.

CH - again, address as normal with Calcium Chloride?

I have Chlorox Chlorine Stabilizer (100% CYA), so will add via sock per TFP app (~2 lbs)

Nothing special you need to do.

Leave your TA alone. With high pH just monitor your TA. As long as your pH is stable and rising 40 is ok.

Lower pH to 7.8 and no more then that.

You need to get your CH up to 250 - 300 ppm but when you add calcium watch your FC. We have seen where FC goes to 0 when calcium is added.

Add your stabilizer and maintain your FC level through all the chemical adjustments.

Leave your TA alone. With high pH just monitor your TA. As long as your pH is stable and rising 40 is ok.

You need to get your CH up to 250 - 300 ppm but when you add calcium watch your FC. We have seen where FC goes to 0 when calcium is added.

Add your stabilizer and maintain your FC level through all the chemical adjustments.

Thank you!

Mind if I ask why only 7.8 for pH?

Mind if I ask why only 7.8 for pH?
The more you lower your pH, the more it will lower your TA. With TA at 40 you do not want to lower it further. So just squeeze your pH into the 7s with little TA change.