Opening a swamp

I can't seem to get rid of 1 CC.

I am on Day 16 of slamming the pool. I went from a swamp to where it is very slowly clearing up. Tuesday, I could see the bottom of the ladder and my feet. Woohoo! It is holding FC pretty good as well. However, I am still getting 1 CC when I do my test. Why? Shouldn't everything be dead by now? I just put the ladder in and we have no lights. I have brushed the pool daily and vacuumed at least a dozen times. The filter has been cleaned several times during this process. I just don't get it. I am pretty sure there isn't much, if any, debris left in there. Is this typical to have 1 CC until it is fully clear?

Results from last night's testing:

cya=30
FC=8.5 (end of the day with full sun, was 13 in the morning)
CC=1
pH=7.4
TA=130

I am making sure it is at slam level in the morning and in the late evening, if not slightly above. I hit the pool hard the first week of slamming. I am going through 1 jug of 12.5% chlorine daily right now, which I think is pretty good considering what I was going through at first.

Re: I can't seem to get rid of 1 CC.

If the water isn't clear, there may still be some hardy algae spores hiding in there. Cloudiness could be the bleached carcasses of dead algae, but there's still some in there reproducing creating more. Have you tried the overnight loss test yet?

If the water IS clear, then maybe you're in this same predicament. It's a long shot, but something to consider. Someone last year was dealing with it too and finally went with the nuclear option and went above the target shock level to mustard level and finished things off that way.

I would say you still have algae. Perform an OCLT and see how much you lose. I wouldn't be surprised if you do not pass with very cloudy water.

It is cloudy, but slowly clearing. I probably went to mustard algae shock level last Friday since we went out of town for the weekend. I threw 4 jugs of chlorine in and it was at least 8ppm at that time. Should I do it again or wait this out a bit further? It is clearing, just slowly. My dpd powder is new. I wish that was the issue.

If I go by the Pool Math Calculator, assuming the amount of Chlorine I am adding in the late evening is bringing it up to where the calculator says, I am not losing any FC over night. As soon as I get my R-0871 refill, I will actually test it after adding my last chlorine for the night and measure it in the morning to know for sure.

I should say, after adding one drop of R-0871, it goes to almost clear. I can faintly tell there is some pink if I hold it up to light. Do I keep adding drops at that point or call it .5ppm? Maybe I am reading it wrong.

All the drops-based tests are concluded when the last drop you add makes no change whatever to the solution.

So, to correctly get a result of 1.0 you would have added 3 drops....One and two both making a slight change and then drop #3 makes no change at all. You subtract the last drop from your count so your solution cleared with 2 drops x .5 = 1.0 ppm

That is what I thought so it is 1 ppm. So should I keep going until clear or do another mustard algae shock? This just sucks, because I feel like I am making progress, but yet I am not.

Slamming almost done, need help with dirt in pool.

I just merged 5 of your threads. Please keep everything together so there is continuity to your story. Thanks, jblizzle.

So 3 weeks later and I finally have clear water. Woohoo! CC=.5 I have not done the OCTL yet. I am still bringing it to shock level in the evening since it just got clear. Like another poster, it took 80 jugs at least. 3 weeks and 80 jugs later to clear a swamp for any swamp owner reading this. Anyway, I now have dirt at the bottom of my pool. What happened is my winter cover blew into my pool at the end of fall, with **** on it, and so we had a mess. All major debris is out of the pool, but I can't get the dirt out. We have vacuumed over a dozen times. It just seems to come back into the pool, get hazy, and by the next day, be at the bottom. I don't have a vacuum to waste option on my pump. My husband doesn't think we can do the waste option of putting the hose over the edge after we get flow (we tried this last summer when we had high cya, didn't really work too well). So, what are my other options? New filter? Some thing put over the skimmer basket? It is a significant amount of dirt or I wouldn't even bother.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.