Opened the pool up. Green and swampy.

Yes. The fact that your FC is finally holding that high means most of the ammonia is gone. You will likely see CC throughout your SLAM as the last of it is oxidized, but that's why it's one of the criteria. Looking at the difference between this test and the one from your post #36 above, yes, it looks like you're making good progress.

Awesome thanks! I guess I just expected to see a CC in the 5 Range. Cool I'll keep the level up.

The water still looks like ****. Im just happy to finally have some FC

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I'd also like a bottles of Bleach total to the point where you're holding less than 1 CC. To see what I'm in for...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Weird I cant upload anything?

Ill try again later.

- - - Updated - - -

I am not sure why I cant upload any pics.

The FC is staying around 12. I am adding when needed. I need to backwash every time i check the filter. Could it need to be cleaned from all the amonia / algea in it?

I think we are winning!

O and PS I think what did it was hitting it every 20 mins with whatever bleach was needed to get it up to 12 PPM. I did that for about 5 hours last night until it broke.

I dont really know if all the bleach i dumped in before starting that "bleached earth policy" really did anything against all that ammonia. If I were to have this problem again I would just wait until I had a solid chunk of time to hit it hard like that. Total newb mistake on my part.

I think it took about 24ish gallons of bleach for just last nights offensive.

I have pics of before and current but I cant upload for some reason.

Last edited:
Think I have it set up. And yes there was a winter cover on it. We shocked it before we closed it. The water was super clear. No clue on readings (wasnt a member yet :))

Here we go:

Then

Still not all the way there but a **** of a lot better than when it was opened!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks all!

Another question:
When do you need to take the grid out and clean then? I am backwashing every two hours.

Initial psi ~12 it hits ~18 real quick. I didn't find any answer to this in pool school. (Doesn't mean it's not there though)

Usually the grids are taken out when you do a full cleaning of the filter. With DE filters the pressure rises quickly when SLAMming as you are seeing. You are adding DE after each backwash and only 80% of what it would take if you did a complete cleaning of the grids ?

Are you adding 80% of the normal DE amount after every backwash?
That is a really small filter for your big pool, so it is going to take a LOT of cycles.
Hopefully you can get through the SLAM and then I would certainly suggest tearing it apart for a good cleaning. Generally you want to do this once a year at least.

I put 6lbs in for the 36sq.ft filter to start. Then each back wash I add 1lb.

Is that enough? I just want sure if all that **** would force a full DE grid cleaning or not.

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.