Opened pool: low pump pressure/water flow

Apr 27, 2012
tulsa, ok
Hello all,

Opened the pool today. Very obvious low return flow in the three discharge ports accompanied by a lot of air bubbles that range in size from big at what I assume to be discharge port closest to pump (see attached photo) to very small bubbles at the other two. Using my hand to gauge water pressure at discharge, I can tell it is significantly lower than normal. Additionally, the suction at bottom of skimmer basket is weak. (As point of information, I only have water return from the skimmer. I have an untraceable leak in drain return line and have not used it for years.) Pressure at filter gauge is 2 Psi. Pump basket holds water/doesn’t leak down if pump is shut off.

Pump is a 1HP Pentair Challenger CFI-N1-1A and has been in use for about 20 years. I have never changed the impeller, but have done several shaft seal changes over the years. The motor is fairly new, (century 1HP SF 1.65) but I don’t keep good records about exact dates. But I can tell by the sound of the pump/motor that it is labored and not “smooth” like normal.

My knowledge is that the pumps are simple impeller operation and they either work or they don’t. Same for motors. After I post, I will open up pump case and inspect impeller for something obvious and report if I see something significant.

Thanks
IMG_0168.jpeg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.