Opened green

Does back washing blow out all the DE? I've backed down from 2 1/2 cups DE to one heaping scoop. Runs a bit longer between backwashing. Should I bump it back up?
Yes, backwashing blows out all the DE. It's your call. More DE (Up to a point; stop adding DE when PSI raise 1) means better filtering means more frequent backwashing means more stuff is getting strained out of the pool means faster clearing. On the other hand, nobody likes being stuck watching the filter pressure gauge all day, either. You're supposed to own the pool, not the other way around.

I'll just do it when I'm home because it is alot of backwashing. On a seperate note, the staining on my steps was removed by some vitamin c tablets. Obviously i have a metal issue i'll have to deal with after i get my water clear.

20160525_172911.jpg

The main drain made an appearance today. Just for kicks the CC was 1. Still brushing and adding DE to the filter.

Cc measure 0 today but the water in the deep end still has a tint of cloudiness. I brushed it around and have been adding DE to the filter and backwashing every couple hours. I'm to the point of C'MON. Its day 6. 22 bottles of bleach and 4 bags 78% hypochlorite.
20160526_190657.jpg

20160526_190645.jpg

Finally, success. All levels are good.
FC 12
Ph 7.4
TA 70
Ch 60
CC less than .5
Gonna try the Overnight test tonight. I prob could have done it yesterday or the day before but figured I would go until tonight just to be safe.
Cya assuming 20. It all hasn't dissolved yet. I think im gonna start doing liquid. I'm too impatient.
20160529_175503.jpg

20160529_175509.jpg

That looks awesome - I'm kind of in the same boat as you a while back. My pool opened very green/brown and now it's in the "mostly blue whiteish cloudy phase". I put in some chlorine and clarifier today and will check on it tomorrow but I always struggle with my pool. Would you please post what you did each day after opening and what chemicals you used?

Just bleach. I have learned everything I know about pool care from this site. Follow the directions to the SLAM process in Pool School. I know its sounds like a cliché because you read it all the time but it works. This was the longest slam I have had to do. I've done it before after returning from vacation and had some algae but this was the first time I had to take it from green to clear. I opened it last Friday. Let your chlorine level come down and get ur PH in the correct range. Check your CYA level then go the the chart and get your shock level, get and keep the FC there. I always over dose it by 4 or 5 just so I dont have to check it that often but I also know how much a gallon of bleach brings my FC up. So i can test less often. Once I have my FC up, I check and adjust. There was no magic chemicals. Just 8.25% bleach. Then when I was home I put DE in my sand filter to catch the finer particles of the dead algae. Backwashed, filled and dosed FC as required. I only did the DE when I was home because it brings the pressure of the filter up so quickly. That helped the water clear up faster.
Just for the record, I used 28 bottles of bleach and 6 hypochlorite 16oz bags

Just bleach. I have learned everything I know about pool care from this site. Follow the directions to the SLAM process in Pool School. I know its sounds like a cliché because you read it all the time but it works. This was the longest slam I have had to do. I've done it before after returning from vacation and had some algae but this was the first time I had to take it from green to clear. I opened it last Friday. Let your chlorine level come down and get ur PH in the correct range. Check your CYA level then go the the chart and get your shock level, get and keep the FC there. I always over dose it by 4 or 5 just so I dont have to check it that often but I also know how much a gallon of bleach brings my FC up. So i can test less often. Once I have my FC up, I check and adjust. There was no magic chemicals. Just 8.25% bleach. Then when I was home I put DE in my sand filter to catch the finer particles of the dead algae. Backwashed, filled and dosed FC as required. I only did the DE when I was home because it brings the pressure of the filter up so quickly. That helped the water clear up faster.
Just for the record, I used 28 bottles of bleach and 6 hypochlorite 16oz bags
:goodpost:

Now you can walk others through the process. My fingers are getting tired.

Without you guys giving advice and expertise I would be in the dark. This is my 3rd season with a pool and second using the TFP method. Its easy, quick and once you know your pool, the testing goes way down with the anxiety. Thanks to all you guys n gals on here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.