One variable pump vs 2 pumps..water feature...automation!

pbc

Jun 26, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Wasn't sure which forum to post this in, this one seemed the best! New pool owner finishing the construction of a salt water in ground pool (steel walls with vinyl, 32x16 feet, 3.5feet to 5 feet depth).

Purchasing Hayward equipment for it, standard package consists of:

• Hayward "Pro Logic" PS-4 Digital Control System inc. Salt
  • Hayward "H Series" (Energy efficient) 250,000-300 BTU Digital Gas Heater
  • Hayward "Swim Clear" Quad Cluster Cartridge Filter
  • Hayward " Super Pump "1.0hp pump

As I have added a waterfall feature (3 water falls on a long wall), my landscaper/pool guy is recommending going with the PS-8 controller, and 2 of the 1 HP pumps or a single variable pump.

Also threw out the Omni as an option.

Honestly, I have no idea how to pick the above. Want it as "manual free" as possible, he mentioned something about having to manually adjust things when wanting to not use the waterfall feature for instance if I didn't go with an upgraded path.

Any help would be appreciated!! Complete newb to pools!

Would definitely recommend the VS pump. As to one or two, that depends on how you plan to use the waterfall -- if only for parties, while you're swimming, etc, then one pump might work. But if you plan to run it all the time, you may need two to make sure your pool filters properly.

I love the omnilogic, which controls my pumps, pump speed, waterfall, water slide, SWG, pool lights, etc. Certainly makes everything manual free, as you say. Without omni, you would have to control all those things at the equipment pad. Not particularly difficult, but not as easy (or as cool) as with omni...

Thanks, so why the VS pump and why 2 vs two of the pump above? Gets a lot more expensive as I understand it.

Was looking at the Omnilogic, but have read a lot of nightmare reviews of the system online, most of htem saying it doesn't work well, though that could be more installer dependant!

- - - Updated - - -

...in particular, would I need a VS pump for the basic waterfall feature? It's literally a 32 foot wall that has three 3 foot sections that will have water coming out with lights (There's a name for it, but I can't recall).

VS is good because you don't always have to run it at full speed, which saves you money on electricity. Also filters more efficiently at lower speeds. Two pumps would let you mix and match -- e.g., filter on low with waterfall on high, or vice versa. Could probably do a similar thing with a single pump and a diverter valve if the pump can handle the flow, but PB would have to confirm that -- my concern (without knowing your specifics ...) is that three 3' wide waterfalls will require a lot of volume and might need their own dedicated pump. (My single 3' wide waterfall has its own pump.)

Yes, definitely thinking dedicated pump, just wondering if I would need a VS pump for the waterfall feature as that seems like overkill if the cost is substantially more.

Posted in the automation/other forum, but will ask here. Is the Omni overkill for just effectively a waterfall/waterfall lights and 2 lights in the pool? What is the Aqua Connect option, does that work with the PS8?

Would definitely recommend the VS pump. As to one or two, that depends on how you plan to use the waterfall -- if only for parties, while you're swimming, etc, then one pump might work. But if you plan to run it all the time, you may need two to make sure your pool filters properly.

I love the omnilogic, which controls my pumps, pump speed, waterfall, water slide, SWG, pool lights, etc. Certainly makes everything manual free, as you say. Without omni, you would have to control all those things at the equipment pad. Not particularly difficult, but not as easy (or as cool) as with omni...

For the Omni, does the system come as a package that also includes automatic PH balancing, etc? Or is all that extra? I don't find the Hayward website overly customer friendly!

I would say seperate pumps for the water features.

Your going to need about 90gpm for the 3 3's

We have 1 4' sheer (40gpm) and 2 spill over bowls(20gpm each) and our 2hp vsp is just enough for our water features. Our pump goes to 100% and the return jets have to be turned almost completely off. If i had known, I would have opted for a second pump.

When the pump dies, I'll get the next size up

I can't speak for the omni, but I'm using the aqua plus 16(also hayward) and am happy with it. The hayward app ui could use a lot of help. But the automation is great. It can control everything by touch, by time, by phone.

Yes, definitely thinking dedicated pump, just wondering if I would need a VS pump for the waterfall feature as that seems like overkill if the cost is substantially more.

If you have sheer descents, then single speed is probably fine. I have a I rock waterfall that I typically run on low, almost never on high.

Posted in the automation/other forum, but will ask here. Is the Omni overkill for just effectively a waterfall/waterfall lights and 2 lights in the pool? What is the Aqua Connect option, does that work with the PS8?

That's up to you. Without Omni, you would need to go to the equipment panel each time you want to turn on the waterfall and lights. Of course, Omni would also let you control the filter pump and swg, program your system, set up schedules, select light colors and shows, etc. Was worth it for me, but my system is a bit more complex.

For the Omni, does the system come as a package that also includes automatic PH balancing, etc? Or is all that extra? I don't find the Hayward website overly customer friendly!

That's an add-on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm not sure about the omni system. I can control everything from the 16+
Waterfalls
Skimmer
Pump
Lights
Stair lighting
7 controllable relays
4 valves
2 heaters
16 aux/group functions.

I'm very happy with it. Like I've said b4 the ui is a little lagging.

And all through our phones with this :
Hayward Aqua Connect Home Network Device AQ-CO-HOMENET | PoolSupply4less

The remote you showed will only work at your house. I can raise the temp of the pool on my way home from work [emoji41]

Basically I'm going to go with a variable speed pump for the 16x32 pool (3.5 to 5 feet deep), not sure which variable one yet. Plus a single speed waterfall pump for the three 4' sheer descents.

Based on the above, is there a specific Hayward VS pump that you guys recommend as well as a specific basic single speed pump for the waterfalls? There are a dizzying number of pumps available!!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure about the omni system. I can control everything from the 16+
Waterfalls
Skimmer
Pump
Lights
Stair lighting
7 controllable relays
4 valves
2 heaters
16 aux/group functions.

I'm very happy with it. Like I've said b4 the ui is a little lagging.

And all through our phones with this :
Hayward Aqua Connect Home Network Device AQ-CO-HOMENET | PoolSupply4less

The remote you showed will only work at your house. I can raise the temp of the pool on my way home from work [emoji41]

Thanks, I think with the PS8 I should be able to control my two pumps, skimmer (didn't realize I had to control this!!), 1 heater, pool lights. Not sure what else I need to control!

Keep in mind the specs I'm giving you are from the Pl plus 16

The 8 has only 4 relays and can control 3 valves and has 8 aux/group functions

If you run out of relays, you can't just upgrade, you have to change the board $$$

So for instance:

- Pool lights
- Exterior Cabana Lights
- Walkway landscaping lights
- Tree lighting

Would be 4 relays sort of thing?

Sorry, completely new to me and googling pool relays brought up swimming relays. Ha.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.