One skimmer water flow seems slower

pilotx1982

Jun 5, 2023
New Jersey
It appears one of the skimmers suction/water flow is slower, but, when I put my hand down, the suction is strong (about the same as the other one). The hatch door seems to be operating normally. The water level was higher due to the massive rain recently (but now about 3/4 to the skimmer hatch) as I drained some with a sump pump, I will drain it so it's 1/2 to the hatch opening. The PSI is about 4 to 5 higher than baseline (not yet 10) so I am not sure if a backwash is warranted? It seems that instead of the water flowing in, it's more like its idling there (but the skimmer does accumulate similar amount of leaves/debris ).

Any ideas what this could be?

Last edited:
Dirty filter can cause some slow-down you might notice.

Are both skimmers on the same line back to equipment pad?
Mine are - closet to pad, I've got a grand champion skimmer, and the furthest is a loser skimmer because it's farther away.

Pilot,

The far skimmer will always be weaker than the near skimmer.

If you are lucky enough that each skimmer has its own valve, then you can adjust them to be about equal.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Dirty filter can cause some slow-down you might notice.

Are both skimmers on the same line back to equipment pad?
Mine are - closet to pad, I've got a grand champion skimmer, and the furthest is a loser skimmer because it's farther away.
When they opened up the pool, they said I have 4 return lines, and a shallow skimmer line, deep skimmer and main drain (I assume DS is deep skimmer). Is a deep skimmer the one further away from the pump?

IMG_6267.jpg

The higher the water level, the less action you will see in the skimmer, especially if water is above the weir door.
Do both skimmers have separate lines back to the equipment pad or are they joined underground and only 1 skimmer pipe leading to the pump suction?

You have a DE filter so that is easy to backwash. You do not state your pump type, but if it is variable speed, always check pressure when the pump is at the same speed.

The higher the water level, the less action you will see in the skimmer, especially if water is above the weir door.
Do both skimmers have separate lines back to the equipment pad or are they joined underground and only 1 skimmer pipe leading to the pump suction?

You have a DE filter so that is easy to backwash. You do not state your pump type, but if it is variable speed, always check pressure when the pump is at the same speed.
HermanTX,

Honestly I don't know, I purchased this house last year so I am not sure how the pool lines were originally designed. The pump I have is a Century UST1152. I have backwashed before about a month back.

You are correct about the action, as I am draining the water with sump pump I can see a better flow already, it's very slow to drain but I assume I should stop draining when the water line is 1/2 of the inlet hatch? We had massive rain last few days and it was above the weir door.

Thank's all for replies so far..

Honestly I don't know, I purchased this house last year so I am not sure how the pool lines were originally designed. The pump I have is a Century UST1152. I have backwashed before about a month back.
Take a photo of the equipment pad as well as a close up where the lines leading to the suction side of the main pump.
Appears you have a single speed pump but we can confirm that.

Do you have a main drain?

Take a photo of the equipment pad as well as a close up where the lines leading to the suction side of the main pump.
Appears you have a single speed pump but we can confirm that.

Do you have a main drain?
Yes, I was told that there is a main drain. I believe on this pic SS is shallow skimmer, DS is deep skimmer and the one without anything written on it is the main drain. Here are some photos. IMG_6275.jpgIMG_6276.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pilot,

Close the main drain or only open it about 5% and it will help you skimmers work better. You do not need a main drain.

Make sure that both skimmers have a weir door, that floats up and down with the water level.. A weir door is what makes a skimmer... (wait for it...) SKIM. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: pilotx1982
Yes, I was told that there is a main drain. I believe on this pic SS is shallow skimmer, DS is deep skimmer and the one without anything written on it is the main drain. Here are some photos.
Agree with @Jimrahbe , partially close the valve on the main drain. also, since you have a valve on each of the skimmers, you can partially close one if that is sucking harder than the other. Basically, the 2 valves on the skimmer lines allow you to balance the suction of each line. Many pools do not have that so you are fortunate to be able to control the skimmers.

Yes, you have a single speed pump. Also, the big valve in front of the filter is called a Multiport Valve (MPV). It allows you to filter or backwash or to flow to waste (bypassing the filter) depending on where you place the handle. Only rotate the handle when the pump is off. and it is best to always rotate one direction, such as clockwise to go to the various positions. There is a spider web gasket under that handle that's sets the ports for different flow directions, and you do not want to cut it or tear it.

Agree with @Jimrahbe , partially close the valve on the main drain. also, since you have a valve on each of the skimmers, you can partially close one if that is sucking harder than the other. Basically, the 2 valves on the skimmer lines allow you to balance the suction of each line. Many pools do not have that so you are fortunate to be able to control the skimmers.

Yes, you have a single speed pump. Also, the big valve in front of the filter is called a Multiport Valve (MPV). It allows you to filter or backwash or to flow to waste (bypassing the filter) depending on where you place the handle. Only rotate the handle when the pump is off. and it is best to always rotate one direction, such as clockwise to go to the various positions. There is a spider web gasket under that handle that's sets the ports for different flow directions, and you do not want to cut it or tear it.
Hi,

Ok, so I assume the position it's in now, it's fully open, so perhaps close it to 50%? Jimrahbe, yes, both have a weir door.

I assume if I select WASTE, it's a quicker way of dumping water out of pool (instead of using all sump pump) and I won't need to add DE after (like I do after I backwash). I didn't know about rotating the MPV in one direction, I will do that from now on.

As far as backwash, the guy who opened pool told me to backwash in this order.
  • 5 seconds backwash
  • 5 seconds rinse
  • 5 seconds bacwash
  • 5 seconds rinse
  • do this about 5 times/cycles
Then to add 6lbs of ASH if backwash (and 7.5 if I clean filter)

Thanks

Ok, so I assume the position it's in now, it's fully open, so perhaps close it to 50%?
So rotate the handle so it is at a 45 deg angle. If you rotate 90 deg it will CLOSE completely.

I assume if I select WASTE, it's a quicker way of dumping water out of pool (instead of using all sump pump) and I won't need to add DE after (like I do after I backwash).
This is correct but only for small reductions in water level. The preferred method to drain a pool is with a sump pump.

As far as backwash, the guy who opened pool told me to backwash in this order.
  • 5 seconds backwash
  • 5 seconds rinse
  • 5 seconds bacwash
  • 5 seconds rinse
  • do this about 5 times/cycles
Then to add 6lbs of ASH if backwash (and 7.5 if I clean filter)

I think everyone has their own method to backwash. I use a 1 min cycle at backwash and 30 secs to rinse and do it about 4 times. I probably drain a little more water but I do not see how running a pump for 5 secs is very effective in removing debris from the grids.

You should never add more than 80% of the DE after a backwash so the info is about right - max 6 lbs after a backwash.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.