once a week chems?

mathey

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2007
Taylorsville, MD
Are there any chemical kits still on the market that are once-a-week type products?

backstory - i had been using the BBB method successfully since the first year we got our pool (10 years ago?). Wife and I separated May 2014...that year i opened the pool and got it all set, bought all the bleach and even marked what days to add it...every weekend i would come back and find it green...spend the time getting it cleaned up with the assurance she would be able to take care of it this week... Finally closed it green and swore i wouldn't open it this year. This year she paid a pool co to open and then couldn't be bothered to keep it clean all summer. Went back a few weekends ago and got it cleaned in 3 days, put the cover on.

The house will be on the market this winter, but in the event it hasn't sold by spring, i need to get it opened and keep it sparkling until it sells. So my options are pay a pool co to maintain or find some product that can be applied once a week. When we had the pool installed the co started us on some product we dumped in once a week...and a quick google search shows some product called "relax" but i can't find much info on it...or any other similar products.

There is no method that conforms to TFP recommendations that is a once a week treatment or testing. You could certainly go with trichlor tablets in a floater after you get the pool cleaned up in the spring, but you know that the longer that method is used, the higher the CYA will creep and managing that will fall on the new owner. Make sure to hand them a TFP business card at closing so we can help them deal with the high CYA...

Right - i knew it wasn't "approved" here - but i also know this a great pool forum with lots of knowledgable peeps!

The tablets method didn't work this year as far as i know, unless she just didn't put them in frequently enough. I dunno - very frustrating. You would think that i was able to do it for 10 years, she could do it for one. :/

I probably will mention to the new owners if i get the chance - but it still amazes me the looks people give you when you tell them - but you know what? Lots of people are using BBB, because its seemingly impossible to find bleach in the summertime here.

MY favorite story is me coming out of WalMart with a cart full of bleach, two guys in a pickup stop and ask if i'm using that for my pool - i said yes - they said they were a pool company and thats exactly what they use - just buying it in bulk and transferring it to unmarked containers.

The easiest and least worries would be to hire a pool service to keep it looking good enough to sell.

Another option is NOT a TFPC method but you could do what pool services do, raise the CYA to around 80 and put in enough chlorine once a week to SLAM level and hope it doesn't develop algae. You could also add an algacide and or phosphate remover as a supplement to get you by for a few months until the house is sold.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.