Omnilogic Chlorinator error

07/20/16 at 2030 I put in 120 lbs of salt, brushed, and ran pump for 3 hours.

07/21/16 at 0830 (pump comes on at 0800). I also turned the chlorinator back on.

Instant salt 2687
Average salt 2093
cell voltage 31.8
cell current 0
relay polarity off

I'll see if these numbers change at all over the course of the day. How long should I wait for the numbers to settle before I add more salt?

07/21/16 at 1425

Instant salt 2219
Average salt 2222
cell volt 32.60 V
cell current 0.0 A
relay polarity off

It's been pretty steady at these numbers most of the day. Anything I should be doing at this point? I'm going to guess I should add more salt.

Your instant salt is all over the place. Something is not right. Here are the steps I would suggest.

1) Check the cell for scale. If scaled, clean and try again. If not scaled, proceed to step 2.

2) See what salinity your Taylor kit shows and take a sample to the pool builder to see what they get for salinity. If your Taylor kit and the builder’s test show much higher salinity than your instant salinity, I would say that your cell is substantially underperforming. If substantially underperforming, I would suggest filing a warranty claim with Hayward. They will send out a service tech to check the system and replace the cell if necessary.

Are you sure that the cell is a 15? If it’s a smaller cell, like a 9, then you could get similar errors.

Are you sure about the pool volume? Pool dimensions of 45x19 would suggest more volume than 24,360 gallons unless your depth only averages 3.8 feet deep.

Also, when adding salt, you should wait 12 to 24 hours with the pump on. I know that I said 2 hours, but that’s probably not enough.

Your instant salt is all over the place. Something is not right. Here are the steps I would suggest.

1) Check the cell for scale. If scaled, clean and try again. If not scaled, proceed to step 2.

2) See what salinity your Taylor kit shows and take a sample to the pool builder to see what they get for salinity. If your Taylor kit and the builder’s test show much higher salinity than your instant salinity, I would say that your cell is substantially underperforming. If substantially underperforming, I would suggest filing a warranty claim with Hayward. They will send out a service tech to check the system and replace the cell if necessary.

Are you sure that the cell is a 15? If it’s a smaller cell, like a 9, then you could get similar errors.

Are you sure about the pool volume? Pool dimensions of 45x19 would suggest more volume than 24,360 gallons unless your depth only averages 3.8 feet deep.

Also, when adding salt, you should wait 12 to 24 hours with the pump on. I know that I said 2 hours, but that’s probably not enough.

1. I will check for scale tomorrow or Saturday. I checked for scale a few months ago and it was very clean. Cell is a year old. Each time I've checked it, it has been clean.

2. Taylor kit indicates 3200.

3. Cell is 100% a T15, unless the box and cell itself was mismarked from Hayward.

4. Pool volume was calculated at initial fill up by taking a reading on my meter at the beginning of fill up and when turning off the water when pool and spa was full. No other water was used in the house during that period. I assume my city meter is accurate. It was a month old at the time of fill up. 3.8 feet is probably about the average. There is a large wrap around step, Baja shelf and max depth is 6.5. So that may be about right.

Salt was added at 2030 yesterday. Pump ran for about 3 hours. Pump turned back on this morning at 0800 and chlorinator activated.

I just checked chlorine level and it's reading 0.

Should I do something different at this time?

Near as I can tell the chlorinator has worked great for a year. I've never added salt. If it wasn't working, I suspect I'd have a completely green pool. I was remiss in not regularly checking the salt levels. I will know better going forward.

Thank you again for your continued guidance and assistance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Try the system again after 12 hours of circulation. If the instant is 800 below the taylor test. File a warranty claim if cell is clean.

Maintain fc by liquid chlorine until the system works.

Your instant salt is too far below your Taylor test. Check the cell for scaling and clean if necessary. Make sure that the cell says T-15 on the label.

If the cell is clean and says T-15 on the label, file a warranty claim with Hayward.

Maintain fc with liquid chlorine until the salt system is fixed.

Cleaned T15 this morning. There was some scale.

Taylor salt test run 3 times this morning: 3000, 3200, 3000

Chlorine was 4-5

07/24/16 at 1130

Cell temp 84.3
Instant salt 3498
Average salt 2749
cell voltage 26.21
cell current 8.14A
relay polarity K1

Looks like it needed a cleaning. Now the instant salt is more in line with the Taylor results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.