OMG! I got it all over me!!!

techguy said:
I did one yesterday, I was reading email on my work computer and went to reply an email. I clicked the reply button....nothing. I clicked it again... Nothing. Restarted the computer , no change

I sent the help desk an email, they replied but I could not reply. The technician. Came and looked at my computer, the email server, the server logs.... Nothing.

Ok, will go back to work and try again letter. So I reached over and turned on my second monitor, there were my reply windows for all those messages.... D'oh!!! Problem solved by a power switch.

The worst part, I have 20 years experience as a help desk tech.

LOL, i learned to drag all pop up windows over to my main screen, cause when i RDP into my 2 screen work computer i can't see the second screen on my home 1 screen lap top. XP doesn't support dual screen RDP.

To the OP: Great story thanks!

Nplsdvr said:
I'm a new pool owner, have no clue what you're talking about, but I had a chuckle myself. Been there, done that in other situations.
I looked up your filter and I didn't see a valve head on it. I assume cartridge filters don't need backwashed, just washed. With a sand filter, there is a valve head to switch between different settings. The system must be 'Backwash'ed on occasion to remove all of the stuff stuck in the sand. Then you 'Rinse' the valve head out and finally put it back on 'Recir... Filter'.

For those like me, make SURE you turn the pump OFF before attempting to switch between each setting. Take my word for it, you're not -that- quick. The lid of your filter basket will meet you at eye level and you'll be doing an emergency, soggy, rebuild ...or so I'm told. :oops:
poolsupplieshaywardvalv.jpg

dattia said:
I just have to wonder what you really thought of BBB'ing, since you never actually achieve sparkly oasis for the past two years. Did you think we were all nuts?
Never. When it comes to pools, I go to TFP first and pray second. I do less-than-brilliant stuff more than I care to admit on here so I know I'm just as likely to be what's wrong with the process as any other part. I can't say enough good things about the TFP crew. Due to being frugal and a DIY gene handed down from my dad (he's got some good stories :wink:), I've used BBB from day one. I don't regret it one bit. There is some education up front, but it's well worth it and easy to do once you try your hand at it. I recommend it every time pools come up in conversation and many times they don't. I'm pretty sure I have a handful of converts so far. I'm about ready for my sackcloth robe.

Thimble said:
We've all done something similar. The best learned lessons are the hard ones.

I was repairing our washing machine. Got it fixed, but it wouldn't spin. It spun before I worked on it, and the repair had nothing to do with that part of the washer. Worked on it for 3 days, no matter what...it wouldn't spin. I was about to throw in the towel and call a repairman. The wife walked by, put down the lid and it took off spinning....

I still hear about that one every now and then.
HAHA! Classic! I see I'm in good company.

To everyone else, thanks again for the encouragement, sharing your stories of low-brain days, and tender elbows to the ribs.

Q,
Now you can tell your family, friends, and neighbors that just this week you came up with a personal and fool-proof method of pool maintenance!
Congratulations, really. :goodjob:
I mean, who of us reads instruction manuals anyway, or asks for directions when he's lost?!? :cheers:
A

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.