Olympic Pool

From an article on Yahoo Sports by Greg Wyshynski:

We learned chemistry is not an exact science,” said Rio 2016 spokesman Mario Andrada.

The official line from the IOC is that they didn’t compensate for the number of athletes competing in the Games’ pools. “The alkaline levels went up because we had a far bigger number of athletes, so we didn’t use as many chemicals as we should,” said Andrada.
Now, this might sound idiotic, because how do the Rio Olympic organizers not know how many athletes are competing in, say, diving? Did they all invite friends to the pool party or something?
“We know how many athletes will be here,” said Andrada clarified. “But it’s not a scientific thing: What’s the impact on the pool on a given day. It’s impossible to figure out X amount of athletes using pool in X amount of minutes in the pool produce this specific thing.”

Now you know that's just too many "Xs" to have to keep up with! .....and they all would have died a horrible death if they had run the FC a point or two higher.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

"We learned chemistry is not an exact science,” said Rio 2016 spokesman Mario Andrada.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

"We learned chemistry is not an exact science,” said Rio 2016 spokesman Mario Andrada.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

Ditto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even if they had run it by pool store standards they could have kept it clear longer than this! I don't remember any other summer games having this problem. So, has anyone tweeted them the TFP website?

I've been watching most of the swimming sports of these 2016 Rio Olympics,, so far the USA has won 24 medals in swimming related events (11 gold),, the next closest is Australia with 8 total (3 gold).
The diving pool does appear to have water chemistry problems, but I think the Brazilians are doing a pretty good overall job hosting the Olympics this year.

All of the pools have been fairly cloudy, it's only the diving pool that has had a total meltdown so far (though the water polo pool next to it was well on its way to green the day after the diving pool lost its lunch).

None of the pools are keeping up with the load, it's just the diving pool that went supercritical first. I entirely facepalmed at an IOC Official's Quote that the science of pool chemistry and maintaining pools isn't well understood.

I've been watching most of the swimming sports of these 2016 Rio Olympics,, so far the USA has won 24 medals in swimming related events (11 gold),, the next closest is Australia with 8 total (3 gold).
The diving pool does appear to have water chemistry problems, but I think the Brazilians are doing a pretty good overall job hosting the Olympics this year.

The IOC...(International Office of Corruption)...... should be dang well proud of itself for allowing ANY world class athlete to KNOWINGLY compete in sewage. Yeah, I'm quite sure nobody got paid off for that. Every one of those officials should have been made to "enjoy the swim". Disgusting. Even the beach isn't safe to walk on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Perhaps the TFP site should be translated into Portuguese. Or since its too late to save Rio, Japanese for the 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics. By then maybe chemistry will become a more "exact" science. Like physics. Or meteorology.

Well watching today they have yet another excuse. The new reason was they messed up and added hydrogen peroxide.

Can't wait to hear what's next. :)

Maybe they nuked it with chlorine while it was closed, and then dumped hydrogen peroxide to get back to acceptable chlorine levels prior to today's competition? The pool does have that gray/blue/green shade of dying algae today. My kids, watching with me, are shocked by the color and lack of visibility in the diving pool.

And notice that they don't show any underwater shots of the divers... Gee, wonder why... ROFL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.