Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey All,
I have some questions regarding replacing the motor on our very old pump. At least, that's what I think I need to do. This is, I believe, the orignial pump from our Anthony pool which the previous homeowners had built in ~1981. Before buying the house 11 years ago, we had the pool inspected, and the guy told us not to replace the OG pump and filter, because they will last forever. I will include photos of the pump and filter labels.

The pump is, in fact, starting to struggle to turn on. It will just hum loudly, and sometimes will trip the breaker before it gets going. I found that if I turn it on manually, let it hum for 5 seconds, turn it off, then wait a minute, and turn it on again, it will slowly start to turn and then pump water after about 5-10 seconds. Once running, it will continue running all day.

I looked up replacement pumps based on the info on the label. I also read through the Pump Basics and the Hydraulics 101 artcles. The current pump is a single-speed AO Smith CET38ABM, motor model K48M2P104. It is labeled as 2HP, with a SF of 1.1, so 2.2 THP. It is 230V, max load amps of 10.1. Frame type is 48Y. The filter is a 52sq' DE filter. There are 2 jets in the pool and 6 in the spa. No other water features and we do not use a robotic cleaner. There is an in-floor cleaner system, but we genreally don't use it becasue I have not been able to get the connection to the mechanism to seal right and it shoots water out when sending water flowing through it. However, I would like to use it just to help distribute water through the pool when using the heater.

It looks to me like I can use this motor as a replacement (2.205 THP).
  • Is it okay to go to a dual-speed motor and get this one instead? I am aware that I will need to get the speed switch as well.
  • Is it okay to go VS and get this one? What else is needed for the VS version?
  • I am also not sure what I need to get for replacement seals and O-rings for my pump model as I can't seem to find any info on it.
  • Do the symptoms of the current motor indicate something else needs to be done?

Thanks everyone for any help you can provide here!

Tim

Attachments

• PoolFilter.jpg
    PoolFilter.jpg
    345.6 KB · Views: 6
  • PoolPump.jpg
    PoolPump.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 6
Hey All,
I have some questions regarding replacing the motor on our very old pump. At least, that's what I think I need to do. This is, I believe, the orignial pump from our Anthony pool which the previous homeowners had built in ~1981. Before buying the house 11 years ago, we had the pool inspected, and the guy told us not to replace the OG pump and filter, because they will last forever. I will include photos of the pump and filter labels.

The pump is, in fact, starting to struggle to turn on. It will just hum loudly, and sometimes will trip the breaker before it gets going. I found that if I turn it on manually, let it hum for 5 seconds, turn it off, then wait a minute, and turn it on again, it will slowly start to turn and then pump water after about 5-10 seconds. Once running, it will continue running all day.

I looked up replacement pumps based on the info on the label. I also read through the Pump Basics and the Hydraulics 101 artcles. The current pump is a single-speed AO Smith CET38ABM, motor model K48M2P104. It is labeled as 2HP, with a SF of 1.1, so 2.2 THP. It is 230V, max load amps of 10.1. Frame type is 48Y. The filter is a 52sq' DE filter. There are 2 jets in the pool and 6 in the spa. No other water features and we do not use a robotic cleaner. There is an in-floor cleaner system, but we genreally don't use it becasue I have not been able to get the connection to the mechanism to seal right and it shoots water out when sending water flowing through it. However, I would like to use it just to help distribute water through the pool when using the heater.

It looks to me like I can use this motor as a replacement (2.205 THP).
  • Is it okay to go to a dual-speed motor and get this one instead? I am aware that I will need to get the speed switch as well.
  • Is it okay to go VS and get this one? What else is needed for the VS version?
  • I am also not sure what I need to get for replacement seals and O-rings for my pump model as I can't seem to find any info on it.
  • Do the symptoms of the current motor indicate something else needs to be done?

Thanks everyone for any help you can provide here!

Tim
A picture of the entire pump would help, but with that motor it is likely a bronze copy of a Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass 1 pump. The V-Green EVO would be a good match. You can continue to use the existing timer. The motor programs start when power is applied, run through their times and shut off. The clock can be set to turn off sometime after the last program ends. For more control, a Nidec NPTQ225 is a better option. It would no longer use a timeclock as it needs to have constant power.

You would need a new PS100 seal. Get Viton if you can, PS3866. The O ring for the pump housing is an O163 or an Aladdin G-44A gasket, I believe.

Get an IntelliFlo variable speed pump and a 420 sq ft cartridge filter.

The motor is 37 years old.
I'd rather go the motor replacement route, if possible, but I do need a backup plan for sure. I feel that I can do that project myself, but replacing the pump and filter I would need someone else to do. I've never beeen good at plumbing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.