Old pool/new owner

Last night I added bleach to what calculates as a shock level of 10, waited 10 minutes and got a test result of 9. Encouraging.
Without adding any more bleach, I waited 10 minutes and took another sample that tested at 6.
It was getting late and I wasn't going to fight it all night. I added my dose of muriatic acid and went to bed. This morning, the pool has a faint smell of chlorine and the water in my sample cup looks clear as opposed to yellow-green. However my test shows no chlorine.
So, this morning I'm going to raise to shock level again, wait 10 and test, repeat.
If I'm satisfied with the results, I have liquid stabilizer to add the CYA ($$$!).

I have my math wrong somewhere or the bleach is not diluting very quickly.
I added 281 oz to reach an FC of 10. After 10 minutes I tested out at 18 (36 drops). After another 10 minutes, it's still at 13 (26 drops). I'm not sure if this is good or bad at this point.
Edit:
After another 10 minutes, FC is at 11.5 and CC is at 1.

Using the Poolmath calculator, I estimate your round pool to be about 24,300 gallons. So to go from an FC of zero to 10, it shows to use 360 ounces (2 gal and 3 qts) of 8.25% bleach. So we're off somewhere. Let's confirm a couple things before you add anything else:
- Pool size is 30' round by 4.6 ft deep = 24,300
- On the Poolmath calculator, you enter your current (NOW) number, then the goal (TARGET) number, then you update the bleach percentage in the "WEIGHT" field.
- Testing accuracy. Are you using a speed stir? You used one heaping scoop of power then slowly added the drops of R-0871 until it went from pink to clear then divided in half?

Let's compare notes on that and see if anything is off.

Best thing for pics ...... Have you tried linking your photos from Photobucket? That's what many of us do here on TFP. Upload your pics to Photobucket (free), then copy & paste the IMG code for that pic from Photobucket to your TFP post. Works great.

Also, you can try going to the bottom of your quick reply post where it says “Go Advanced”, and then down to where it says “Manage Attachments”. It may let you upload them that way. They may show-up large because you can't adjust the size of the attachment, but it may work.

Then at 22K and 10% bleach I also come-up with 281 ounces. That calculator is quite accurate, so the only things I can think of that would effect the end result (being high or low) after adding chemicals would be:
- Error estimating size of pool (gallons)
- Testing error
- Strength or product (usually it's weaker)
- Amount dispersed

Also, I'm concerned about the rapid drop in FC noted in your post #22 this morning every 10 min. That's a quick drop. Once you get the hang of adding the right amount of bleach to stay at an FC of 12 (I think your SLAM is 12 right? Based on a CYA of 30?). Try to keep it at 12 as much as you can frequently for the first couple hours to break that cycle of depletion. Let's see if that does the trick for you there.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, are you using Wal-Mart's regular "Great Value" bleach? That's what I use here in TX, but it's only 8.25%. Maybe it's different in your area though. Just want to make sure it's regular (not splashless or scented).

The great value bleach was $3 a gallon. Our walmart has a pool section and they had the 10% for $2.50 a gallon.
I was aiming for a shock of 10 because I had zero CYA when I tested it yesterday.
At this point, I think my CYA should still be zero, though I haven't tested it since adding the bleach.
When I am ready to SLAM, my shock will be 12 for a CYA of 30. Should I add the stabilizer now to get my CYA right or shock again first?

Since you already did the FC/ammonia test and cleared it, then yes, you definitely need to add CYA right away. Add for that target of 30 ppm, so that's 88 ounces of granular or 228 ounces of liquid stabilizer. Whichever you bought. If you got the granular, use the "sock" method to hold it, soak, and disperse near a return jet or in your skimmer. Squeeze frequently to disperse out of the (white) sock. Once dissolved, consider it at that target of 30.

Be aware that we had that sale locally on that 10% bleach, but the Julian dates on our bottles were old, so it probably wasn't quite up to 10% strength. It will still work though. You should be able to maintain an FC of 12 a little better as time goes on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just jumping in to say HI! and you are doing a great job! Keep it up!

PLEASE take a pic a day looking at your steps or the brush at the bottom of the pool. That will show you and us how it is going. The pics will show the progress our eyes cannot see day to day.

Don't forget to brush your pool often as that will make it look worse BUT it will allow the stuff to get up and in the chlorine and filter.

:hug: You are beating it!

Kim

I'll have to break out the computer. Photobucket doesn't seem to like my tablet right now.
Had a big dummy moment this afternoon. Things were going well and I had backwashed the filter a couple of times. I had the round scrubby gizmo on a pole that the garden hose hooks up to (might be a vacuum that hooks up to the skimmer with this extra hose?) but I was just using it to get loose stuff off the bottom with the garden hose pressure.
Had a scotch and settled in for an afternoon of watching baseball and monitoring pool chemistry when the dear wife said our friends were playing kickball-let's go to town.
Well, somebody had the hose still running to top-off from the backwash. 4 hours later the yard is a little soggy. Oops.
FC was down to 8.5 so I brought it back to 12. Thankfully the liquid gold-CYA was still at 30.
I'm still churning up a few leaves and algae off the bottom and I guess it's eating some of that chlorine but it feels like good progress.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.