Old Pentair Sand Filter Lid Wrench

Clarkb33

Jun 29, 2020
Norman, OK
I have a Pentair Triton II TR-100 and the lid is stuck on. The lid wrench that came with it is slightly broken. I purchased a new one today at my local pool store, and it is just slightly too big to get a good grip on the lid. I'm thinking that since my filter is so old (like pre-2001), the newer model has changed slightly. I've googled and ebayed and I cannot find an older one. Does anyone have advice for getting my lid off, or know where I can get an older lid wrench?

I have a Pentair Triton II TR-100 and the lid is stuck on. The lid wrench that came with it is slightly broken. I purchased a new one today at my local pool store, and it is just slightly too big to get a good grip on the lid. I'm thinking that since my filter is so old (like pre-2001), the newer model has changed slightly. I've googled and ebayed and I cannot find an older one. Does anyone have advice for getting my lid off, or know where I can get an older lid wrench?
Let me check. I had a tr-100 circa 2001 that we scrapped due to weeping from the pores of the fiberglass and maybe I saved the wrench. (The filter bottom half is now a strawberry planter. 🤣)

Reactions: Mdragger88
Let me check. I had a tr-100 circa 2001 that we scrapped due to weeping from the pores of the fiberglass and maybe I saved the wrench. (The filter bottom half is now a strawberry planter. 🤣)
After a check of my pool deck box, it’s not in there. I have a feeling I tried it on the new filter and it didn’t fit so maybe I tossed it. Sorry!

The wrench is the same size.

There are two different wrenches, one is plastic and one is aluminum.

If the wrench size changed, the parts diagram would show a note.

The only change was the thread type, which changed from a “V” thread to a “Buttress” thread.

154512 Wrench, 6 in. closure.

154510 Wrench closure aluminum, 6 in

View attachment 479487
View attachment 479486

You’re correct that the nominal size of the wrench has not changed. However, holding up my old wrench to the new one, there are a couple millimeters of difference, allowing for slipage. I don’t know if through whether my lid has shrunk a tiny bit, but either way, the new wrench does not fit completely tightly around the lid. There are a couple millimeters of space, allowing for slippage.

You’re correct that the nominal size of the wrench has not changed. However, holding up my old wrench to the new one, there are a couple millimeters of difference, allowing for slipage. I don’t know if through whether my lid has shrunk a tiny bit, but either way, the new wrench does not fit completely tightly around the lid. There are a couple millimeters of space, allowing for slippage.
8365C5F5-80EA-4AA3-A539-E15BE7AEE516.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had been struggling with a similar issue for over 20 years but recently discovered a great solution. I applied Ballistol's Multi-Purpose lubricant on the locknut twice the previous night. The following morning, I placed a piece of wood, approx the length of the wrench handle and tapped gently with the side of the hammer until I saw movement. Once it moved a couple of inches, I was able to use the wrench to successfully open the locknut. It was a huge relief to finally resolve this problem.

Reactions: Bperry
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.