Old old pool

genespleen

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 3, 2010
Hi everyone,

I've posted about our pool before, but have a neat update. First, our pool is very old; it was built in the early 1930s. When my wife and I were looking for houses here in Boonville (MO) in May 2010, we absolutely loved this house. It was a rainy day and we were here for 30 minutes before we noticed the overgrown jungle hiding the pool-swamp (I guess the realtor wasn't in a hurry to show it). A pool! But it had been neglected, unused, for over 20 years. I thought I could take things easy over the summer and rehabilitate the monster. But get this: two weeks before closing, the bank politely informed us that there would be no closing unless the pool was a functioning one. So a quick schooling, but it's turned out well.

Anyhow, the reason for telling this story (I think, again) is that the granddaughter of the couple who built the house and pool recently sent us some old photos, giving us a nice sense of the history of the place. So down below, you'll see a photo from the pool's initial construction, and then the pool in-use around 1935. That's followed by one showing us how the pool looked when we first saw it, one after the first cleaning, and finally one from today (11 May 2022).

It's a right pain sometimes, but all-in-all it's a lot of fun.

best wishes,
David

Pool, 1934.jpg
Pool, 1935.jpg

Pool, May 2010.jpg

Pool, May 2010, after cleaning.jpg

Pool, May 2022.jpg.jpg