Old neglected pool, what to do??

JessicaE

May 9, 2024
Harrisburg, PA
Update to my previous thread:
I have removed the cover from my pool. I have learned more about the history of the pool; built around 1990 then closed and not used at all until about 2010, used for a few seasons then closed and covered until I removed the cover last week. I added 3 new photos; I have some concern about the concrete but who knows what's lurking below! (I live in SE Pennsylvania).
Advice please on next steps and order in which to do them:

1. The expansion joint needs to be caulked. Should I do this before or after power washing? What kind of caulk should I use?
2. Determine condition of plumbing. I understand I need to do a pressure test. This should be done after I drain, power wash, and refill pool? Can this be done before replacing my equipment?
3. Determine condition of structure; which can be done when pool is emptied.
4. Equipment likely needs to be replaced; should I go with SWCG instead of chlorine? Is this a big deal to change over if I need to replace my equipment anyway?
5. I have 2 skimmers. One is pretty rough from water being in it during winter and busting it. Is this an expensive repair?

I know I have a lot of questions. I know so little about pools and I'm trying to figure out if this is salvageable. I guess I will know more when it's emptied. THANK YOU for any advice you have. I REALLY appreciate it.

(My original post is below)

Advice please! We bought our house here in Pennsylvania 5 years ago and it came with an inground concrete pool. I don't believe it's been opened for 8-10 years now and I don't know its age. We have no experience with pools. We are wondering what to do; is this pool something we can salvage or is it so far gone that we should consider filling it in?
We have a couple estimates from local pool companies to open the pool for about $4,000. This includes pumping out water, power spraying and/or acid wash, new water, and testing our equipment. I would gladly pay this but am afraid that it will actually need a lot more.
The pool holds water and never overflows. There are some cracks in concrete (see photos) but otherwise looks good I think.
The pump may not work and there appears to be no power to pool equipment currently. I was told by the pool people that came out that it was closed down very well.
Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    740.9 KB · Views: 44
  • pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    593.3 KB · Views: 44
  • pool equipment1.jpg
    pool equipment1.jpg
    689 KB · Views: 42
  • pool4.jpg
    pool4.jpg
    957.4 KB · Views: 41
  • poolthing1.jpg
    poolthing1.jpg
    894.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
As long as the shell holds water, you're halfway there. Plumbing integrity would be another concern, but you can't know for sure if the plumbing is intact until you either run the system or perform a pressure test (either on your own or have someone do it for you). $4K is a lot to open a pool, even with that extra effort, but if it's easier for you at the moment, go for it. Much depends on your DIY skills and equipment on hand. I'm sure some equipment will need to be replaced. Cosmetics can be done anytime.

This will be a fun project to watch. Get some Tylenol ready!

Thank you! There's some dark sediment on the bottom so I can't see too well. I can see the steps. The water level has not changed in the 5 years I've been here. It also has not been uncovered for at least 5 years, likely more. I have lifted corners to peek from time to time.

As long as the shell holds water, you're halfway there. Plumbing integrity would be another concern, but you can't know for sure if the plumbing is intact until you either run the system or perform a pressure test (either on your own or have someone do it for you). $4K is a lot to open a pool, even with that extra effort, but if it's easier for you at the moment, go for it. Much depends on your DIY skills and equipment on hand. I'm sure some equipment will need to be replaced. Cosmetics can be done anytime.

This will be a fun project to watch. Get some Tylenol ready!
Thank you! If I DIY the opening, I would rent a pump, power wash and then refill. (Right?) Thanks!

The fact that you've lived there for 5 years through PA winters and spring seasons and the pool has not overflowed and you've not drained it gives me concern that it doesn't hold water and that it just keeps refilling. I lowered our pool this fall well below the returns at closing and by early spring, I had to drain water before we even opened it.

Before doing any acid wash, cleaning etc, if it were my pool, I would either drain it myself if you have the ability or pay just to have the water pumped out. Once the water is out, I'd have the shell checked for structural issues. That's just me though.

Last edited:
Sadly, I think you are in for more than a $4000 clean, fill and start the pumps. The first clue is the skimmers. Because they have been through winters full, this one has been crushed and displaced. It will likely have to be replaced. To me, this is a clear indicator that the damage is more than skin deep, and the troubles run deeper that a simple clean and startup.

1715282687576.png

Reactions: kul
The fact that you've lived there for 5 years through PA winters and spring seasons and the pool has not overflowed and you've not drained it gives me concern that it doesn't hold water and that it just keeps refilling. I lowered our pool this fall well below the returns at closing and by early spring, I had to drain water before we even opened it.

Before doing any acid wash, cleaning etc, if it were my pool, I would either drain it myself if you have the ability or pay just to have the water pumped out. Once the water is out, I'd have the shell checked for structural issues. That's just me though.
Thank you very much for the advice. That makes sense.

Sadly, I think you are in for more than a $4000 clean, fill and start the pumps. The first clue is the skimmers. Because they have been through winters full, this one has been crushed and displaced. It will likely have to be replaced. To me, this is a clear indicator that the damage is more than skin deep, and the troubles run deeper that a simple clean and startup.

View attachment 571451
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. So to find out how bad the damage is, I need to empty the pool, clean it, put in new water to test the plumbing all while looking for other damage to the structure? Do you have any idea what dollar amounts I may be looking at? Thank you so much for your advice.

Do you have any idea what dollar amounts I may be looking at? Thank you so much for your advice.
I do not. There are many variables. Where do you live? Rural? Good luck finding pool companies. City? One with lots of pools = lots of pool company options.

You have "Layers" of issues to inspect and confirm
  1. Is the concrete shell sound, if yes, then you might get away with a new plaster if needed. If not, you may have significant work to save the shell.
  2. Is the plaster in good condition and holding water? If yes to #1 and #2, a cleaning will do. If no to #2, then you need to chip out and replaster the pool.
  3. You have coping issues (see picture). It has a gap between the tile and the coping. The coping likely needs to be reset. 1715284743413.png
  4. Next is plumbing, you certainly have one bad skimmer, don't know if you have two and the condition of it. You have no idea the condition of the plumbing to the pad. Looking at the pictures, you have flexible PVC. Not the greatest stuff, might be serviceable...just don't know until you get to it.
  5. Deck. Hard to tell the condition of the entire deck, but you have cracking and shifting that would need to be repaired...without looking at the entire in detail, you may get away with just repairing sections...also depends on the result of repairing the coping issue.
  6. Equipment. It has been covered, which is better than sitting out. You have a simple system with a pump and filter. Filter is likely fine, IF it was winterized properly...if not and water was left in it, may be an issue. Unclear the probability the pump is any good.
You have lots of discovery and evaluation to do on this pool. I don't want to scare you, I want you to be realistic about what it *might* take to get it up and running. It is also my experience that the visible problems are 10-20% of the non-visible problems. Visible problems tend to be cheaper to repair. Non-visible problems tend to be more expensive to repair. It is also my experience that the cost of repair can be correlated to the duration of the neglect.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I do not. There are many variables. Where do you live? Rural? Good luck finding pool companies. City? One with lots of pools = lots of pool company options.

You have "Layers" of issues to inspect and confirm
  1. Is the concrete shell sound, if yes, then you might get away with a new plaster if needed. If not, you may have significant work to save the shell.
  2. Is the plaster in good condition and holding water? If yes to #1 and #2, a cleaning will do. If no to #2, then you need to chip out and replaster the pool.
  3. You have coping issues (see picture). It has a gap between the tile and the coping. The coping likely needs to be reset. View attachment 571455
  4. Next is plumbing, you certainly have one bad skimmer, don't know if you have two and the condition of it. You have no idea the condition of the plumbing to the pad. Looking at the pictures, you have flexible PVC. Not the greatest stuff, might be serviceable...just don't know until you get to it.
  5. Deck. Hard to tell the condition of the entire deck, but you have cracking and shifting that would need to be repaired...without looking at the entire in detail, you may get away with just repairing sections...also depends on the result of repairing the coping issue.
  6. Equipment. It has been covered, which is better than sitting out. You have a simple system with a pump and filter. Filter is likely fine, IF it was winterized properly...if not and water was left in it, may be an issue. Unclear the probability the pump is any good.
You have lots of discovery and evaluation to do on this pool. I don't want to scare you, I want you to be realistic about what it *might* take to get it up and running. It is also my experience that the visible problems are 10-20% of the non-visible problems. Visible problems tend to be cheaper to repair. Non-visible problems tend to be more expensive to repair. It is also my experience that the cost of repair can be correlated to the duration of the neglect.
Thank you so much for your detailed answer, this is very insightful! I guess I will start by draining and power washing myself and go from there.... Thank you again, I really appreciate it.

VERY nice looking pool. It might be worthwhile to completely clean out the equipment shed and buy and install everything new.

Any settling of the decking? Cracks? That the pool holds water is a real plus.

Can you DIY some of the work? Clean up?

I would say you could be up and running for maybe 10K with you doing some of the work.

VERY nice looking pool. It might be worthwhile to completely clean out the equipment shed and buy and install everything new.

Any settling of the decking? Cracks? That the pool holds water is a real plus.

Can you DIY some of the work? Clean up?

I would say you could be up and running for maybe 10K with you doing some of the work.
Thank you! This seems encouraging! The deck has settled some. There are a couple of cracks. One skimmer is busted from winter/water freezing. Would you say my next step is to rent a pump and empty the pool, power wash it, then get it filled up again? I understand I can't let it sit empty for long. Then replace equipment. THANK YOU for your advice!!!