Old Light Housing

ncmathes

Nov 15, 2023
Louisiana
Hi all,

Just bought a house with an older inground pool, sellers think it was built in early 80s. Is anyone familiar with this type of light? The light isn't working and I'm trying to figure out if this thing can pop out easily. These pics are stills from me sticking my GoPro in the water, please don't murder me. 1000003316.png1000003317.png1000003320.png

Not sure of the make/model
Maybe @1poolman1 may know.
Is there a screw at the top of the fixture? If so it should come out & the entire fixture would be removed from the niche. There should be enough cable to lay it on the deck.
Look on YouTube for removing pool light to see what I mean.
You can then open it up & replace the bulb & gasket if you can find the make/model replacements or better yet use it’s cable to pull in a new cable with a fixture that will fit in your niche.
Be sure the power is off at the source before doing any of the above mentioned tasks.

This is an original Amerlite. This particular design has been discontinued for 20 years or more. The screw that holds the light in the pool should be in the portion of the light right that is cut off by the pictures. Once you remove this screw, the light should drop out of the wall for service.

You’re honestly better off shopping a new fixture to put in place of that one. The likelihood of a housing leak after servicing a light that has been in place so long is high.

Reactions: Mdragger88
This is an original Amerlite. This particular design has been discontinued for 20 years or more. The screw that holds the light in the pool should be in the portion of the light right that is cut off by the pictures. Once you remove this screw, the light should drop out of the wall for service.

You’re honestly better off shopping a new fixture to put in place of that one. The likelihood of a housing leak after servicing a light that has been in place so long is high.
Thanks for the reply. I looked back at the video I took and noticed it is Swimquip, and a screw at 12 o'clock.

You’re honestly better off shopping a new fixture to
Here’s a great reference
Thanks, much appreciated.
put in place of that one. The likelihood of a housing leak after servicing a light that has been in place so long is hi

Thank you! I'm learning that the old Swimquips are prone to spring leaks after changing into the bulb and gasket. I'm a good DIYer but will probably leave this to a professional so I don't zap myself to infinity & beyond.
There are a few replacement fixtures for that SwimQuip niche. J&J Electronics is said to have one. Here is an example at a fairly reputable online supply, but anything that fits will not be inexpensive. Be sure there is a GFCI in the circuit. A pool that old may not have one.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.