Old Heater with copper in/out - still possible to add SWG?

Oct 18, 2013
Anaheim Hills, CA
I have an old heater as part of my pool equipment. I wanted to put in variable speed pump and SWG (open to suggestions on brands) but I have copper pipes that come in and out of the heater.

I did some reading on a thread from earlier this yes and seemed to be mixed reviews in yes you can no you can’t add the swg with the copper pipes still as part of the system.

So can I? Should I? Options besides buying a brand new heater?

Thanks,
David

Attachments

• 38F7F023-7B0A-4274-B140-F1BC8A11DD23.jpg
    38F7F023-7B0A-4274-B140-F1BC8A11DD23.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 39
I have an old heater as part of my pool equipment. I wanted to put in variable speed pump and SWG (open to suggestions on brands) but I have copper pipes that come in and out of the heater.

I did some reading on a thread from earlier this yes and seemed to be mixed reviews in yes you can no you can’t add the swg with the copper pipes still as part of the system.

So can I? Should I? Options besides buying a brand new heater?

Thanks,
David
There is no concern with copper pipes and the sodium level in a SWG pool. Remember, all chlorine pools contain salt, added from chlorine, muriatic acid, body sweat etc. You probably have 1200-1500ppm already.

Poor pH management is more of a threat to copper pipes/heat exchangers than salt.

Tip- The SWG should be installed last in the system (after the heater), and sized for 2-3X the size of the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.