Old Concrete pool Renovation

Lilmomasteph

Mar 29, 2023
Savannah, Ga
Good morning!
We just purchased a home a few months back that had a concrete pool. The plaster was falling off, so we decided to go back with exposed aggregate and new tile for our renovation.
My question is, how do I care for the new renovation? I'm experienced in keeping the FC and CYA in check, but have never really focused on any other aspects of the pool health.

Current equipment (will update signature soon)
Pentair SuperMax VS
Hayward T-15 SWG
Knockoff Hayward S240 sand filter (builder installed, it works, so not changing it yet)

Keep the water chemistry balanced. Your TF-100 pool kit contains everything you need to do this. Keep the pool clean of organic debris. Brush once a week. Nothing to it, really.
I've never done a new start up, what order should I go in as far as balancing? They JUST came today to do the plaster, so it'll be filled very soon.... As time gets closer, the more I question what I should do first?

Then depending on what you are having applied to the pool, use a start up guide in the Wiki.

What I linked above. Did you open it?

Sounds like pebble. Are they acid washing before water is added?
He did say they were doing an acid wash, so I assume that happens before they add water. They have acid here and the final towel is nearly complete, so I guess I'll know soon!

That wiki link has opened up a new rabbit hole of info that I should have started on before today.
I have some questions about some of the info in there, is there a proper forum for me to ask those or is it ok to ask in here (this is my attempt at following proper forum etiquette)?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ask about your new plaster start up here.
You have a great test kit.
Thank you!

After the final troweling, they did an acid wash scrubbing with a plastic bristle broom and thoroughly rinsed - now they are filling the pool.
I've skimmed through much of the wiki on this, and a LOT of it is on the actual process of plastering... I did find this"

Acid Start-up

This start-up procedure should only be used for exposed aggregate and pebble finishes only. Your builder usually handles this delicate and difficult procedure. This procedure does run the risk of damaging the plaster and should be avoided if possible. For more information please review this thread on the forum.

• Leave the pump off at first.
  • After the pool has been filled, add 3 gallons of muriatic acid (31.5%) per 10,000 gallons and then brush the entire pool. The acid will help dissolve the plaster dust.
  • Brush twice daily but don’t vacuum or add chlorine until plaster dust is gone. For dark plaster only brush lighter colored or white areas.
  • When all plaster dust is gone, neutralize the acid with sodium bicarbonate and a small amount of soda ash by using a base demand test, wait 24 hours and repeat if needed.
  • When the PH rises to 7.2, check all equipment and turn on the circulation system. Clean the filter when the pressure increases 20% to 25% over the starting pressure. Add sanitizer in small amounts at first until the desired level is obtained.
My question, is this what I need to do even though the plaster company has already washed with acid?
Also, I've not used "sanitizer" - is that referring to chlorine?
I read somewhere here that I should not use salt or my SWG for the first 30 days, correct?

Others are better versed, but I would read the Pebble Tech Salt article linked in the wiki. If you have an exposed aggregrate, it would make sense to me to follow that.

I know the guide ways to wait 28 days for automated vac systems with wheel, I am curious, can I use my Prowler 920 since it has tracks? Anyone know?
Best not to use it.

Why no wheeled cleaner for first 30 days? Plaster is sufficiently hard once the pool is full of water. Pool cleaners can be installed and utilized after about two days if there is no plaster dust forming. The reason that tracks develop is usually from plaster dust being "packed down" by the pool cleaner wheels and then not removed by brushing. So it can look like an "indention" (and discolored) but it is not an indention. Brushing afterwards can help prevent the plaster dust from sticking on the plaster.

Reactions: Lilmomasteph
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.