OKC renovation - forty-year facelift

Small update - PB says he will be out to work on punch list today. Also has an appointment booked with leak detection service, as we are losing over an inch of water per day. I'm afraid that's almost 500 gallons a day (for the last month - GULP!). We are hoping this process will be wrapped up very soon, as we'd like to get to work on our pergola and begin enjoying our pool area instead of dreading it every day!

Thanks, SuperCanadian! Well, the PB was a no-show so that's why there hasn't been an update. Our utility switched to seasonal rates this weekend for summer, so we had reprogrammed our pump timer to cut back on run time (which coincided with our plaster being 30 days old, so we felt it was ok to slow down from 24/7 pump action), so we did that and noticed the leak decreased significantly. I am afraid that shows that the leak is in the pipes somewhere, which will be a bear, as they are within the gunite walls of the pool and under the concrete deck now. PB swore up and down that he did a pressure test, repaired a small leak, and pressure tested again and passed, so it remains to be seen where the water is going. I have checked the waste line and it seems ok, we are going to check again (it discharges into a side yard, so it seems like the ground would show evidence of a 500 gallon a day leak). So leak is still TBD.

PB says he will be out today to work on punch list, so I guess we shall see!

Thanks for checking in, guys! Sadly, nothing much to report here. PB still has not been out to detect/repair leak or get shallow side skimmer working. He keeps saying "in the next day or two" but so far, nada. We did have some minor progress last week, in that the guys came buy and put the umbrella sleeve covers in (5 minutes) and sprayed the matte penetrating sealer on the deck - oddly, not on the coping, yet - which took about an hour. A few other things that did get done was resetting some flagstones, filling in the electrical trench, securing the fence, but still have a few little details like hooking up channel drains and of course, biggie of getting skimmer and leak fixed to go! We've had good rain overnight several days in the last two weeks, so at least I haven't been having to continuously top off the pool. It's hard to tell how much we're having leak with rain of an inch or half inch every few days.

In other news, I finally dragged out our patio furniture and planted my big pots, just to make it more like home out there! I also called two different deck/pergola builders to see if they could come out and bid setting our posts and/or constructing the pergola we were going to DIY since we've had such issues with getting the posts solidly set (since PB flaked on setting them for us). Hopefully something will come of that, soon. I haven't taken many pics yet, but here's a quick snap from tonight because looking at the pics is my favorite part!

Sorry about the leaks and such but my goodness, the pool looks wonderful!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mia if you are curious about how much water you're loosing, you can do a bucket test.
Fill a bucket 3/4 full of water and put a mark with a sharpie at the water line inside the bucket.

Sit the bucket on a step and mark the pool water line on outside the bucket. Next day at same time, measure from water to the lines. The difference between the two measurements is how much is leaking.

Hi Dave! Thanks for checking in. I've had a bucket sitting outside for a few days, just need to make the 20 foot commute to actually getting it in the water. :) This will come as no surprise, but we've had no progress from PB. I am starting to figure we'll hear from him in November when things are slow on his end. I'd like to get the bucket test done soon just to know for my own information, and have my ducks in a row for when the times comes. I finally got our water bill from our pool fill, and was shocked (in a good way) to find it was only $50 or $60. Isn't that insane? No wonder people waste water so freely - it is almost too cheap! That's alleviated some of my anxiety of the constant filling, but it's still terrible for the environment. Our shallow skimmer is still clogged, but we're making do with one and running the robot. Aside from a big storm flooding the pool with red clay (looks like the drainage PB installed isn't sufficient), we've had a pretty good go of it.

Our pergola is also stalled at the moment, hoping to have some updates on that front soon. We did get great use of the pool this holiday weekend (my nephews demonstrating below), and I pretty much lived in my swimsuit for three days and called my period dunkings "showers." It was awesome!

14412830668_610a4e81c3_b.jpg

14413022007_b29d6c8269_b.jpg

14599442585_5a3d03cea6_b.jpg

Reactions: saralines
Reviving this zombie thread for an update ... making a bit of headway after three months of zilch. Our PB, like so many others, has evaporated. He hasn't returned to our job site in about 4 months, and has never finished our project. We've been able to use the pool all summer at least, but we still have a leak and still don't have shallow side skimmer working. A lot of the "misc." clean up work is abandoned, too. I'm not sure how to handle it, since our PB actually hasn't been paid for the completion of the pool and will not be, since he didn't complete it. I may need to have an attorney look at our contract and send him a letter to revoke whatever may still be in effect so I can use the money to hire someone else to finish - just don't know how to handle that.

In good news, we finally found a company (after so many no-shows ALL SUMMER LONG!) to assemble our pergola for us. They are out there working right now and I have my fingers crossed I may have pics today. My DH and I prepped all the lumber by cutting and staining it, but we just didn't have the technical expertise to feel confident in assembling it on the concrete deck. When we built our own pergola before, we set the posts IN concrete, and build something sturdy as a rock, but we were convinced by Mr. PB that setting these posts on top of the deck would be the way to go (less rotting, etc.) Should have gone with my gut. Lesson learned! These guys working right now have already done more in about 90 minutes than we did in an entire day, so I am EXCITED!

Glad to hear there's some progress. Many times for sanity and efficiency sake, it's best to let the pros handle what you're not comfortable with. Provided you can afford it and they SHOW UP!

Good luck on getting a few more projects done this fall!

After all you have been through it has to be hard to not be standing right there!

Did you go out and shake it to make sure it will hold??????

Let us know what you end up doing about the PB and ending stuff. We can all learn from you.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.