OK, REALLY - you're adding Bleach on a DAILY basis ?

The OCLT will really let you know what's going on in your pool.

I am a convert from pucks and the slimy green water I had last year to the gorgeous water I have today all due to liquid chlorine.

Using the 12.5% Cl will reduce the number of jugs you need to lug. My pool is 10oz per day of 12.5%, per 1 PPM loss. I have been losing about 4 ppm each day so I am using 40 oz per day for 10K gallons.

OK, I did the OCLT test last night & this morning.

My CYA which I tested a couple of days ago was 60

7/24 @ 16:30 - FC = 7.5 / CC = 0
7/25 @ 08:00 - FC = 6.5 / CC = 0

So this all looks like "in range" of my FC/CYA balance, right? And now should maintain my daily blue testing of TC of 7-8 ???

Opinions?

Thanks all.

Yea, I belive so ... if we're not splitting hairs over the "OCLT < 1.0 ppm" .. that is, I went from 7.5 to 6.5 overnight over the span of 14 hours ... that's 1.0 ppm ...

Water looks great & CC= 0.0 when I tested again for the morning's test.

cody21 said:
Yea, I belive so ... if we're not splitting hairs over the "OCLT < 1.0 ppm" .. that is, I went from 7.5 to 6.5 overnight over the span of 14 hours ... that's 1.0 ppm ...

Water looks great & CC= 0.0 when I tested again for the morning's test.

The criteria is actually <= 1ppm per Pool School. pool-school/shocking_your_pool
I think the shorthand is to type < 1ppm when the meaning is <= 1.0 ppm.

In my pool I found that 1 big jug of beach gives 4 ppm FC, which is right at 2 days normal consumption. So I skip a day, knowing that it is VITAL that I do test the following day. Sometimes I just put another jug of bleach in and promise myself to test the very next day since if anything was not normal, then I may be less than where the pool needs to be. I do look at the pool everyday and if it looks dull, I am out there with bleach and the test kit.

Once again, thank all of you for the info you're willingly sharing of these details ... I'm going to be doing the Blue Test kit tonight after the sun is off the pool ... and I will now ASSUME I will be adding 64oz, or more, at that time just to maintain a 7.5 & CYA=60 .... some day I'd like to get that CYA down closer to 40, but that may not happen until the rains come. But for now, if I can keep my FC at 6.5-7.5 I would feel better about what I'm doing. And my other half would freak if I said "we must drain & refill 10,000 gallons" ... if you know what I mean. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK guys/gals - did my Blue Test kit .. now again confused ... The Yellow (CL) is showing higher than 5 - e.g., Darker than level 5 .. a good thing no doubt... My PH=7.4 (or 7.5, hard to discern) So to get to the accuracy I need to ensure 7+ it seems like that Blue testKit is useless on a daily or very 2-day basis? When you guys are saying that your testing is "compliant" to your CYA / FC levels, which test are you doing on a daily or regular basis??? After seeing those results I decided to do the FAS/DPD test from TF100 - and came up with a FC=6.0 ... Apparently lost .5 ppm over the day since 8:30 AM this morning Pool cover ON) ... So I JUST added 96 oz. of bleach ... am I doing this correctly? My only focus has been on BLEACH at this point...

cody21 said:
OK guys/gals - did my Blue Test kit .. now again confused ... The Yellow (CL) is showing higher than 5 - e.g., Darker than level 5 .. a good thing no doubt... My PH=7.4 (or 7.5, hard to discern) So to get to the accuracy I need to ensure 7+ it seems like that Blue testKit is useless on a daily or very 2-day basis? When you guys are saying that your testing is "compliant" to your CYA / FC levels, which test are you doing on a daily or regular basis??? After seeing those results I decided to do the FAS/DPD test from TF100 - and came up with a FC=6.0 ... Apparently lost .5 ppm over the day since 8:30 AM this morning Pool cover ON) ... So I JUST added 96 oz. of bleach ... am I doing this correctly? My only focus has been on BLEACH at this point...
Yep, the blue kit is pretty useless at your CYA level.

The only reason I use it is to check my ability to discern minute shades of yellow against the FAS-DPD test. And I'm not improving. If the FAS-DPD test suddenly goes wacko, the yellow color test is a good way to check if you have any FC or perhaps too much.

Anyway, once the pool is tamed and you get to know it, you can check FC with the powder every couple days, because you'll know what your normal chlorine usage is.

CH and CYA won't change suddenly unless you do something big. Weekly should be often enough for CH, maybe monthly on CYA.

Give it a couple weeks and it will be totally routine and brainless and your water will be crystal clear but you'll just take it for granted.

To give you an idea of my usage. In my 17,000 gal ABG pool, I use about 40 oz of 6% bleach per day.

My pool is in the full sun from sun-up until about 6:30 - 7:00 PM every day.

My CYA is about 45 PPM

Some days all 5 of us are in the pool for 4 hours, other days we don't go in at all. I use 40 oz because a i have a 40 oz sports bottle in the shed I use for measuring bleach. I add 40 oz every day, and then "fine tune" by doing a FAS DPT test every so often. My min FC is 4.0, and I shoot for at least 4.5 at the close of a normal day. If when I fine tune I find I am at 5.0 or more, I cut it back to 30 oz or so for the next two days. If I am at 4.0 or so, I boost it with an extra 15 oz or so for the next two or three days. If I know I am going to have a large bather load (party, kids friends, etc) I will measure and adjust accordingly.

As for buying bleach, I go to the Home Depot. They have an off brand (non Chlorox) in 196 oz jugs for about $2.50 a jug (the price goes up and down by +/- .25 from week to week for some reason) I am sure there are other places that may be 30 cents a gallon cheaper in the long run, but HD is 5 minutes from my house, and I seem to be there at least once a week for something. I just throw 2 or 3 jugs in the cart whenever I go. If it costs me $20 more over a pool season, I can live with that.

-dave

I'll grab the little blue kit fairly often just to do a quick check. My minimum is 4, but I prefer to keep my min at 6 so that if I miss a day, I should still only fall to around my real minimum. I add about the same amount of bleach each day, adjusting for sunscreen load. I do the FAS-DPD test 1-2 times per week to make sure I am on target. When I test with the small kit, I'm looking to verify that it matches the 5 plus and doesn't match the 3 or below. I don't use it to come up with an accurate number - I believe it (or I) fail at using it for that.

I didn't even think Home Depot for bleach ... I go there a lot more often than Costco .. I'll check them out today to see what they have .. I'd LOVE to find some 12% LB .. I'm maintaining a spreadsheet for my figues & adjustments... It's giving me a great picture of just what I must be adding daily - and as someoone pointed out, it's looking like about 64 oz per day. A bit more or less given the usage for that day (group swim, convered all day, topping with water (evap), etc.)

Here in Dallas Home Depot keeps all their liquid chlorine outside, and it appears to be really old. Just make sure you aren't getting something that's been sitting in 100+ temps for a couple of years.

RobbieH said:
Here in Dallas Home Depot keeps all their liquid chlorine outside, and it appears to be really old. Just make sure you aren't getting something that's been sitting in 100+ temps for a couple of years.

The stuff I get is not in the "pool section" - which consists of about 4' of shelf space in the outdoor garden section right next to the pond building supplies.

The bleach I get is in the cleaning supply aisle, inside. It appears to be pretty fresh stock. We must have a lot of BBB type people around here, because one day the shelf is full, 2 or 3 days later there are 2 jugs left. Then the next day the shelf is full, then the next day, it is half empty, etc. However the Chlorx belach, which is almost twice the price, just sits there on the shelf :p

-dave

We have a grocery chain around here called Aldi that sells a generic 6% bleach for .99/gallon which is the cheapest I've found. When I go in there and buy it 20 gallons at a time they look at me like I'm trying to clean up a homicide scene.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.