Ok, I want to test, but $68?!

A local pool store charges $5 for a test if you don't buy chemicals there.

At 2 tests per week, that's $10 per week.

In 7 weeks the kit has paid for itself.. and that's only if the store test doesn't lead to purchases you don't really need.

I like the peace of mind that I'm doing my own testing as often as I want and I understand what the tests mean. I dropped $55 at the beginning of the season on chemicals that only messed up my pool because their free test told me to...
When I stopped using their chemicals and went with the TFP method I took my water in (while I was waiting for the TF100 to arrive) and the sales guy jokingly accused me of using someone else's pool water because the difference in my water was THAT drastic in a day's time...

Glad you are getting the test.

sheesh. you should see how much they sell it in Canada these days: $140 for the K2006.. simply ridiculous, especially with the $CDN and $USD which are pretty much at par. add ~13% sales taxes on it to make it worse and it's getting up there in terms of price..

I know it may seem a little high but for everything you get it's definitely worth it! I don't trust the strips at all. I had a pool company the first few years I had the pool and they used the strips. My son actually got blisters on his eyes after swimming one time because there was so much chlorine that the strip bleached so the pool company kept adding chlorine. The co-pay for the doctor visit alone was $50.00 and then of course the medicine to ease the pain and clear up the blisters - so $68.00 is money well spent when you consider you'll know exactly what your water chemistry is (IMHO)

Wow, I really don't understand how anyone can complain about the price of the test kit, especially considering this site is free if you choose not to donate.

As you can see, I'm a long time member, going back many years with some of the folks here to Ben's old site, but I don't have a lot of posts, as I'm on cruise control with my pool now.

I have my pool maintenance down to a science. I still check my water every Saturday, but I'm typically spot on with my numbers.

This is the first time I have had to reorder my kit in 2 years. It's the best out there, hands down.

If you think it's too expensive, go buy one of the el cheapos at Wal-Mart. You won't get 1/10th the kit that you get here.

I was a Baquacil user that converted to the BBB method, so I'm saving over $800+ per season in chemicals.

Good luck with whatever kit you decide to purchase, but this kit is an investment in your pool that will deliver an excellent ROI.

mkenyon2 said:
Alright... you've convinced me. When I have the money... I'll order it.
:handshake:
Congratulations on the decision. I "got by" or so I thought on the inexpensive/cheap Wal-Mart strips ($10), then Wal-Mart kit (another $15) for about 2 months when we got our pool. Then we got hit with an algae bloom. The cheap strips and cheap kit wouldn't handle it, the test kits locally wouldn't handle it (another $45). It took me over a week to get it under control and the family wasn't happy!
Then I found this web site and found out how wrong my measurements, if you want to call them that, were.

Bottom line: I spent $70 on "kits" that are junk, then $68 on the TF100. It's the best out there!

I too thought the the kits were a bit costly, but since I have started using this method I have started to save some real $$$ for pool care
So far I have gone from 30 to 50 per month minimum in chemicals to less than $20 per month switching to liquids.
The kits pay for themselves over time.

I started from scratch with the BBB method using the TF100, have NEVER set foot in a pool store. The closest I've come is the pool section at Home Depot. Looking at the prices they charge for pool chemicals, I think I made back the money I spent on the TF100 in the first 2 months of operating the pool! It's money well spent, and will save you the price of the kit many times over!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
mkenyon2 said:
Alright... you've convinced me. When I have the money... I'll order it.

I had to pinch pennies last year (first year of having a pool) so I ordered the refills for the tests that were in the TF-100 kit and it saved around $20. You don't get the case and the PH drop test but I already had a basic PH/CL drop test kit. $20 is nothing for a lot of people in this forum that have backyards that look like a resort, but I was just working part time at the time, just bought our first house (lost full time job just afterward), and have 3 kids. $20 was a big difference for me then (situation has improved since then :)

Also I had some left over strips and compared the results for PH to the drop test and I ended up using the rest of the strips because of ease. The results were practically identical because the PH drop test was based on a color chart just like the strips so either way the color was within a 'safe range' and not a specific ppm anyway.

Well worth the money,,,sound's like alot but you get what you pay for!!!!Got mine this week..I have played with the cheap one's..Last one I got from auqa chem"free lifetime reagents"went to call last year about new!!!I was told we do not make them anymore,use the strip's there are better!!!!!not true....

I have to agree with the masses. The 'guess work' is killing me. I finally broke down and ordered my own, and altho the principals
are the same, I am a stickler for the knowledge a better kit can give you. Otherwise, why are you here? Everyone must share -- that is the real power == not just peer pressure!! Let me hear from you. BuddyL

I received my kit in 3 days. For those of us that used to buy kits from the other place, and waiting for weeks, months, or forever, this is customer service!

I like the changes made, giving me more of what I use and less of what I don't.

Thanks again Dave!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.