OhhhhNOOOO....

Jul 15, 2017
Victoria, Ks
I started the process to close my inground pool. I was letting the water drop with out adding any to keep the skimmer functioning. I decided to vacuum today and that was going fine. I was able to put the vacuum hose into the skimmer, I had a hose running in the skimmer to make sure it maintained good suction. All went well, finished vacuuming and got everything ready to back wash when I noticed that the motor and pump were running but there was no water going through the filter and back into the pool. Zero pressure. I shut everything off for a while and turned the pump back on and it was running but no water was going through the pump and filter. I had turned off the skimmer valve off because the water level was too low to keep the skimmer running without sucking air. I have been doing this for several days and just using the main drain to filter the pool water. Any way, with the skimmer valve turned off it would start pulling water from the skimmer until it would start sucking air because the water level was not high enough to keep it filled up. It is scaring me because the valve is turned off but the pump is still trying to pull water from the skimmer line. There is no water coming from the main drain at all. It was working fine until I finished vacuuming and then it just stopped. Any ideas?

It is scaring me because the valve is turned off but the pump is still trying to pull water from the skimmer line
It likely just lost prime with the water level too low and it's unable to pull water from the main drains now. It would seem like the air is coming from the skimmers but it's probably not.

I started the process to close my inground pool. I was letting the water drop with out adding any to keep the skimmer functioning. I decided to vacuum today and that was going fine. I was able to put the vacuum hose into the skimmer, I had a hose running in the skimmer to make sure it maintained good suction. All went well, finished vacuuming and got everything ready to back wash when I noticed that the motor and pump were running but there was no water going through the filter and back into the pool. Zero pressure. I shut everything off for a while and turned the pump back on and it was running but no water was going through the pump and filter. I had turned off the skimmer valve off because the water level was too low to keep the skimmer running without sucking air. I have been doing this for several days and just using the main drain to filter the pool water. Any way, with the skimmer valve turned off it would start pulling water from the skimmer until it would start sucking air because the water level was not high enough to keep it filled up. It is scaring me because the valve is turned off but the pump is still trying to pull water from the skimmer line. There is no water coming from the main drain at all. It was working fine until I finished vacuuming and then it just stopped. Any ideas?
Are you sure the valves are/were set right?

I did prime the pump several times and I double checked and rechecked the valve settings and they are correct. the main drain valve is open and the skimmer valve is closed. I tried turning on the pump a little while ago and it took what water was in the skimmer and started sucking air again. I'll take pictures of the valves tomorrow. I guess it could be that the skimmer valve is not closing all the way and is still slightly open but why is the main drain not functioning at all?

You need the skimmers operational to prime the pump.

Your main drain is too small or too long to get the pump to prime. Main drains often cannot fully feed a pump. Once the pump is primed and running then the main drain can feed the pump.

Reactions: Toxophilite
Thank you ajw22! I was able to fill enough water to fill the skimmer and started the pump and it was working as it should The pressure was 15 and had strong flow out of the returns. i then closed the valve to the skimmer with the main drain valve open and the pressure dropped tp zero with no water running through the filter. I am in the process of shutting down the pool for the season and hopefully when I blow the main drain it will dislodge any blockage that may be causing the problem. THANKS! Do you think that could be the issue with the main drain from pushing any water to the filter. I did have the pump running for at least an hour before I closed the skimmer valve. That should have been long enough to prime the main drain.

Do you think that could be the issue with the main drain from pushing any water to the filter. I did have the pump running for at least an hour before I closed the skimmer valve. That should have been long enough to prime the main drain.

We are all just guessing as to what can be the problem with your main drain.

Any chance flex PVC could have been used underground? We have seen instances where flex PVC has kinked like this...

600px-Flex_PVC_Pool_Pipe_Collapse.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.