Oh you're getting a pool? That means you must be rich....and stupid.....

PoolGate

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2017
Damascus, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
So I had my 2nd ridiculous bid to run 60 feet of gas line in almost as straight a line as possible direct from the gas meter outside. $3k and that didn't including the trenching, which he said I would be responsible for. The 1st bid was for $4500. This pool building process has really let me see the vile bottom-feeding segment of our society. My PB will do it for $2k (complete) but he thought that was kind of high so he suggested I get some bids and they would just give me a credit if I could get it done cheaper. Looks like that isn't happening!

I looked up the parts - the flexible underground gas line and fittings are around $250 total. That means he wants $2750 for labor. If the hole is already dug, that means he just lays the line and does the hookups on each end. Say 1-2 hours for the entire job? Almost $1400/hour. I think I am in the wrong industry!

I would totally do the gas hookup 100% myself but I think I have to get a certified installer for it to be code and pass inspection.

Any gas installers in MD want to make some cash? ;)

They look at your home and your cars, then automatically the contractors assumes he/she can charge you more. The best contractor is the small contractor. The one that answers his phone (cell phone only). The one who comes out himself and does not send anyone else out for the estimate. The licensed one who has a business out of his house that keeps his overhead low.

Everyone has to make a living and you can not just count cost of product. A business has overhead expenses, but that does not mean they can not play fair. As mentioned earlier, just keep shopping. You will find someone eventually with a fair price. I was quoted $1,800 from an electrician for a heat pump. I called someone who has worked for me in the past and he quoted me $700-$900 over the phone. He showed up to look at the job and $500 was the outcome. Pretty big difference.

It could also be NJ. This is an expensive State, when it comes to almost everything. What contractors should understand, is that most homeowners, who own nice cars or homes work smart and hard, and are not willing to just give in to the first quote. Hopefully PoolGate can get a fair price for everything.

Have you called your gas company to do it? We called our gas company when we were installing a whole house generator and they offered to not only run the line, they would install an additional meter to make sure the generator would have a dedicated gas line with enough PSI to run the generator. We also found out that every year before hurricane season our gas company offered a $1500.00 credit when a customer installed a generator. We waited until the next season and took the offer. Great deal. Call your gas company. Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We ended up just going with the PB's choice for $2200. It was a fairly simple job too. The gas guy came after the electric guy and used the same trench. Not a lot of work at all there were 2 guys here for about 3 hours total and that includes waiting 45 minutes for the pressure test. Inspector signed off and we are just waiting for the gas company to come install a new meter and/or a high pressure outlet for the pool heater. Then the same guys come back for the final hookup. Also heard from the gas guy that my PB was nickel and dimeing him on payment as it was more like 70 feet and they only wanted to pay him for 62 feet.

It's just the market doing its job... If one guy is too high, keep looking. If they're all too high, then that's the price - need to adjust your budget.

You mentioned that you would need to be licensed and certified before doing it yourself - why not just do that and invest the $200 in materials?

Do you eat a steak at a restaurant and argue the price of the raw meat with your waiter?

No idea what it costs to be a contractor in your area, but it's a lot more than cost of materials. If the owner isn't taking home 6 figures a year personally, after all employees, taxes, licenses, equipment, and other overhead are paid then there's no point in having the business - he just owns a job...

No idea what it costs to be a contractor in your area, but it's a lot more than cost of materials. If the owner isn't taking home 6 figures a year personally, after all employees, taxes, licenses, equipment, and other overhead are paid then there's no point in having the business - he just owns a job...

Everyone has to make a living, but the idea of being fair is another thing. Problem with contractors is that you if own a store front, then definitely you will be more expensive. Most contractors purchase a few trucks and finance them. There is no physical location or large overhead, and this is what makes the difference between fair and overpriced.

Then again, some people just look at your home and cars as assume they can charge more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.