Oh No! What have I done! Need install advice.

SCarolina

May 20, 2019
Belton, SC
We used the TFP method a couple of years ago on a larger temporary above ground pool. We never tried any other methods and never had any trouble at all. Our cheap pool got older and we decided we needed a larger above ground pool. We weren't crazy about doing business with our local pool store and long story short we bought a pool online. Well you can't find anyone to install it around here besides the pool store, and so we intend to install it ourselves. Now that I see how difficult site prep is, I am not sure that is the best idea. Here is our situation: We have a slope, and had a guy out to clear a spot for the pool. He did a reasonable job but the large machine can't get it close enough to level and the rest is hand work. We bought a transit and leveled the area where the pool wall will be. We are on red Georgia clay, which is hard, but slick. Here is the thing - If it's level there will be water pooling at the base of the pool wall. I am not sure how to drain this - perhaps the trench for the bonding wire could be helpful with the drainage. Any ideas what to do? I have attached a picture. I sprayed water from the hose to see what it would do. Most of the area is good a level, but the water pools up. My husband is tired of digging and doesn't want to put the rest of the patio blocks under the supports. A few that we put in shifted when I hosed the area down. Not a good sign, but I don;t think we packed the dirt well enough under them. We will have to lift them up and do better. Any one with pool install experience here? What do we need to do to successfully put a pool up here?

Attachments

• 20190520_182423s.jpg
    20190520_182423s.jpg
    454.9 KB · Views: 172
  • 20190520_182426s.jpg
    20190520_182426s.jpg
    664.4 KB · Views: 176
  • 20190520_182532s.jpg
    20190520_182532s.jpg
    649.4 KB · Views: 165
Hello and Welcome to TFP!!
Digging that stuff is VERY hard work!! The pavers under the supports are very important and shouldn't be ignored or skimped on. You should dig down to set the pavers on solid undisturbed soil. Not add soil under the pavers unless compacted well. You may need to wait for that water to dry out so the ground isn't mushy. The pavers that moved will need to be reset.

As for the drainage, that is a concern around the base. You could install a french drain around the base to aid in water drainage. As you install the pool, you will need to back fill some around the base to prevent washout and can give some support to the ground around the base.

You actually need to install a base on the whole pool pad. Whatever your final grade will be for the pool go down 5" lower with digging or come up from where you are now. Get road bade or dense grades aggregate probably called crusher run by you and add and spread it level putting you blocks in as you go. You need a powered compactor for this. Then set your 4" or base and an inch of sand to make the 5" and set pool. I would use geotextile fabric between stone and clay if you want it to last. I know this is not what you want to hear but it's what I would do if it were my yard

Reactions: splashpad
Hello and Welcome to TFP!!
Digging that stuff is VERY hard work!! The pavers under the supports are very important and shouldn't be ignored or skimped on. You should dig down to set the pavers on solid undisturbed soil. Not add soil under the pavers unless compacted well. You may need to wait for that water to dry out so the ground isn't mushy. The pavers that moved will need to be reset.

As for the drainage, that is a concern around the base. You could install a french drain around the base to aid in water drainage. As you install the pool, you will need to back fill some around the base to prevent washout and can give some support to the ground around the base.

Thanks, the area is still not dry this morning! I was thinking to backfill against the pool wall and create some sloping drainage but I am not sure it will be enough. Will set the pavers for sure.

You actually need to install a base on the whole pool pad. Whatever your final grade will be for the pool go down 5" lower with digging or come up from where you are now. Get road bade or dense grades aggregate probably called crusher run by you and add and spread it level putting you blocks in as you go. You need a powered compactor for this. Then set your 4" or base and an inch of sand to make the 5" and set pool. I would use geotextile fabric between stone and clay if you want it to last. I know this is not what you want to hear but it's what I would do if it were my yard

Thanks for the reply. this is not what I wanted to hear, but it is probably the voice of reason. where do you get geotextile fabric?

Thanks for the reply. this is not what I wanted to hear, but it is probably the voice of reason. where do you get geotextile fabric?

I forgot to mention this is a 24' round Blue Wave Riviera. It's 54" high. We may be able to get crush and run delivered and leveled. Is the inch of sand to fill in and smooth the crush and run? Instructions say not to install on sand, although sand goes inside for the liner base.

If we install it on crush and run, why do we also need pavers?? There seems to be some debate about pavers - even the pools instructions say you don't need them if your dirt is hard. Would love to believe we could skip them if we install on a flat bed of crush and run. By the way, are there alternatives to pavers? Thin flat plates your throw down for example? Anyone discover an alternative? Spreading crush and run is one thing. Hand digging 16 pavers into packed crush and run is another....

Jimmy The Greek: Is this the geotextile underlayment you are talking about:
Or this one which would have a seam and is half the cost::

either is fine, you want that on top of your clay under the crusher run. you dont have to dig the pavers in, make a small indent and use a hand compactor to tighten up ground and then some crusher on that packing it setting them to the right height with the transit. lay the crusher run after around them. depends on your pool type and install, if it wants sand after then do that and set on the base material. the geotextile is a must, search youtube for some vids, you can lay it on mucky dirt and add some base, then drive an excavator over it. when pool is up you can add a corrugated drain pipe on backside and fill with clean stone pitched the right way to divert water. just get some grass or erosion control matts on the slope so it tightens up fast and you will be fine. theres no easy way to do this and worst when you have a slope.

Good-Fast-Cheap ------> pick any two you want in any combination and the leftover word applies with an "ain't" in front

Thanks Jimmy the Greek for your input. I am looking into getting crush and run. I called one rock supplier and the lady on the phone went nuts when I told her it would go under a pool. She said the rocks would work their way up and to build in on sand! I tried to explain that there would be three inches of sand between the rock and the liner but she just didn't see it as possible. Was funny. Anyway back to fast cheap and easy - it sounds like you are describing leveling crush and run by hand while we lay in the pavers. I am not sure that is possible for us. I dont think we can't do it and we can't find anyone who will do it for hire. Someone probably would say they would but in 2 months if they do show. Was thinking to have the crush and run leveled and packed with a loader and I have a guy that will do that. Wondering if we can water it in and tamp when he is done, instead of working the powered compactor.

Has no one used PVC tiles under their supports? Wondering what exactly the inset pavers do?
Would this product not provide a base? and at less than 1/2" thick they would be far easier to set.
Maybe I just don't understand what pavers are there for.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any gravel you put down that is not clean will need to be compacted with a plate. Only sharp angular rock like #57 known as 3/4 clean can be put down without a machine compact. Anything with mixed sizes and fines mixed in like road base will settle if not compacted. This is what I do for a living. I've never installed an AGP but I have an idea how they go. The pavers are to support the posts in pool frame and spread the weight. You also need support around the whole pool. If you want to go minimum I would say dig a shallow hole and add clean gravel from bags and set pavers to height on that. Then add geotextile and bring up grade using stone dust or concrete sand and compact that. If you use regular play type sand it will move and wash over time. What I mention is larger and irregular sandy material and will lock itself together when packed. You gotta decide if its worth taking the chance on install and having to go back and redo this if it settles and moves. Clay is the worst thing to build anything on but can be done

I have had two people out to look at the pool area. One is going to put a cloth wrapped french drain behind the pool, and then build up the foundation. His plan is about like what Jimmy the Greek recommended. I will cost us a bit, but not as much as re-doing a sunk pool. The other guy wanted to put the pool on a mix of pea gravel and sand!

I have had two people out to look at the pool area. One is going to put a cloth wrapped french drain behind the pool, and then build up the foundation. His plan is about like what Jimmy the Greek recommended. I will cost us a bit, but not as much as re-doing a sunk pool. The other guy wanted to put the pool on a mix of pea gravel and sand!
YES for the first guy...........................NOPE for the second guy!!! WHAT??? nope, nope, nope!!

I hope you guys are still here. The guy I hired is finishing the french drain and wants to put a thick layer of 57 stone under the whole pool and set pavers in that. Would the geotextile fabric go under the 57 stone? It seems like there needs to be another layer between the 57 stone and the sand, or the sand will shift and fill in/ sink into the stone. Can I set the pool directly on 57 stone? Do I even need pavers if I have 5 inches of 57 stone as a base? I am wondering how much 57 stone costs and if its the best stone to put down..

The pavers are there to prevent your legs from sinking into the ground over time from the sheer weight of the pool. So yes, you do need them. If it never rained, I think Georgia red clay would support a pool without the legs sinking in, but the problem is it does rain, the clay gets wet and slick, and the legs move and start to sink. All your hard work ruined in one thunderstorm.

I set 14 pavers on my hands and knees, with a trowel in good ol' GRC, and I survived. I had kneepads, a sweatband, and unlimited G2 Gatorade. It was hard work, but I'm proud to say they're all level and my pool is only 1/2" out of level. And I did it myself. Just do it a little at a time - - you'll get there!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.