Odd numbers

Mar 18, 2016
Blackwood/NJ
Checked pool today and found my FC at 1.0. My salt system has been on the second to highest setting. I also checked my CYA and it's at 100. We have had significant high heat these last couple of weeks. Does this mean I need a slam? Thoughts?

FC-1.0
CC-.5
PH-8.0
TA-80
CYA-100

Correction, with a SWG, the minimum FC level is 5ppm ... you should NEVER let it drop below that.

I would suspect that with it dropped so low, something has started to grow in your pool and likely you need to follow the SLAM Process process before redialing in your SWG.

Correction, with a SWG, the minimum FC level is 5ppm ... you should NEVER let it drop below that.

I would suspect that with it dropped so low, something has started to grow in your pool and likely you need to follow the SLAM Process process before redialing in your SWG.
I recently had two huge parties and figure that added to my issue. I've been lax in checking the pool since I've never had an issue. Pool is crystal clear, but looks like I should buy some stock in Clorox.

e,

That is "assuming" your CYA is not higher, as 100 is the upper limit of the test.

Tell us more about how you sanitize your pool... Have you used anything other than your SWG?

Are you adding "shock" on a weekly biases? Are you also using floating 3" tabs???

Just trying to understand what you are doing so that we can point you in the right direction...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Weekly run my robot to clean the bottom. Check complete numbers every two weeks, was at 3.0 FC three weeks ago, boosted the swg to Max and added the bleach per the calculator. Never have slammed or shocked pool, never use tabs. I was under the impression the swg handles the FC as long as you have cya in it. This is my first issue, 2 ND year of having a pool. Always crystal clear.

Yeah, I was concerned it would make kids eyes burn.

Nope. In fact, having the FC too low is what causes eye irritation. The FC in the pool will convert to CC from the sweat, lotions, etc (pee ;) ) and the CC is what causes the irritation. When the FC is higher, it will more quickly help breakdown the CC to avoid the irritation.

In fact, if you had your FC at the shock level for your CYA ... that would STILL be less irritating than a public pool with no CYA and a FC level of 1ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also, having the pH out of whack can often be the source of eye irritation.

And on top of that, MOST of the eye irritation is actually as a result of kids constantly rubbing they eyes after going underwater each time. Even with perfect chemistry, if they don't stop rubbing the water out of their eyes, they will always be irritated.

I still have to constantly tell one of my daughter to stop rubbing her eyes :D

Indeed, I wasn't looking at the SWG chart. I find in my own pool that following the SWG reccomended chlorine levels invites trouble. Again. And again and again.

Ok, received the CYA reagent in the mail and retested everything. I have been trying to keep FC levels up in meantime so I have added about a gallon of bleach every other day, totaling 3 times.

FC-5.5
CC-.5
CYA-60
TA-80
PH-7.8

Do you think I need a SLAM?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.