Odd Behavior: GloBrite lights work/don’t work based on water temperature

Ds3161

Gold Supporter
Sep 23, 2021
Kansas city
TLDR; the warmer the water, the more lights work.

I have an odd light behavior that no one can explain. The lights will be replaced soon but I’d still like to understand it.

I have 5 Pentair GloBrite color LED lights in my pool. 3 in the pool proper and 2 on the sun deck inside Pentair color vision bubblers. Each light will somewhat conditionally work based on different temperature thresholds of the water in the pool. Roughly it goes like this:

Light 1 (furthest wire run) always works any temp
Light 2 only works when water temp reaches into the mid to upper 60s
Light 3 only works when water temp is at least in the 70s
Light 4 only works when water temp is at least in the 80s
Light 5, a bubbler light, will ONLY come on when the water is at least in the 80s and I am running the bubbler AND the gas heater (this heated water is running over the light in the bubbler…presumably near 90 or more degrees). This takes about 10-15 minutes for the light to come on with heat. I just tested this again and the light shut off after about 10 minutes of the heat being turned off. Water temp is 88

Now, light 2 3 and 4 don’t seem to be consistent in which light decides to work at certain temps. But it is always progressive that way as temps fluctuate. Obviously this is very hard to demonstrate to anyone who doesn’t live with the pool through the early spring but at least the bubbler one is always reproducible.

Another side effect is that some of the lights will not sync with all the other lights (such as with a recall or a color mode like party). Sometimes I can get them to sync after they have “warmed up” for a while and I reset the mode/color.

Pentair has had a warranty work order in and they tested the transformer and checked everything wiring wise. All five lights run into a J box, are all twisted together there then run to a 300 watt transformer and then run into the intellicenter from there. They have no idea how/why this is happening. The solution is just to replace the 4 that act badly. But I fear there is something afoot.

Anyone ever see this behavior? I can snag a video of this 5th light behaving this way if anyone doubts it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing with Globrites would surprise me. They will all fail at about 3 years of life.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.