Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Folks,
You may have read my previous thread about dealing with nasty well water here. I thought I had licked the problem completely with cationic and anionic resin softening plus aerated catalytic carbon and H202 injection. And I had for a while. But slowly over the next few weeks we had a slight (to me, much stronger to my wife) sulfur odor. It was so low I barely could detect it so I kind of blew it off and hoped my wife would learn to live with it. Bad decision. Eventually we had guests and all the ladies could smell it. One hubby even detected it. So I started testing with my fancy ampule based super-sensitive sulfide test kit. It reliably tests .05 ppm and almost any level with a color change. It took some effort to make sure I captured good samples and immediately tested them. Sulfides clearly vaporize quickly from the water in just minutes. With some sampling practice it became clear I had a tiny bit of sulfide making it through the system and was typically .05 ppm or less. I believe this is due to the fact that treatment processes I am using are not complete removal. Maybe over 90% but not complete. So starting with inlet water of 1.2 ppm it was conceivable there will always be residual that is detectable by many, mostly female people.

One thing that puzzled me is the under sink RO units we have produced pristine smelling water all the time. I couldn't figure out how this is possible since it is well-documented that these membranes allow H2S to pass through almost completely which has the effect of concentrating H2S instead of removing it. How could mine be so sweet? Then I remembered these units have 2 activated carbon filters. Could they be removing the trace amounts? After numerous guest complaints I was pretty desperate. I searched for a whole house polishing filter that would do the trick. There are MANY choices ranging from pretty cheap to almost $100 not including the housing. At this point I needed a definite solution so I purchased a 20" (Big Blue knock-off) housing and the high $ refillable media cartridge that contained a combination of KDF-85, Brim, and catalytic carbon. Installation was simple and I included piping to allow me to easily flush the filter. This took longer than I thought to get the black dust out. Then I filled the first sample and cautiously gave it to the wife to test. She smiled and said "that's perfect!". I was elated. Decided not to report this for a few weeks just to be sure it works... It's been a month now and I think this is finally the solution. Information I obtained indicate this filter has capacity to remove 3 ppm for 50,000 gal. With just the wife and me most of the time at ~200 gal/day and less than .05 ppm it should last for years. I'll report back as we have more time on the filter.

I hope this is helpful for anybody else on here with the dreaded "wife doesn't like your water" problem!

Chris

Reactions: PoolStored
Chris,

Most RO units have catalytic GAC polishing filters on them. They will definitely absorb sulfides. So that is why your tap water smells fine.

As for the rest of the house, I think anyone in the industry would shrug their shoulders and tell you that 50ppb is the “best you can do” but that doesn’t help when the wife is unhappy. Happy wife/happy life and all that jazz …

Well done on the additional filtration. Sulfur contamination is a beast to deal with and hopefully your aquifer will improve with age. Other than that, your setup is probably the best you can do without blowing out your budget on a 200 gal/day whole house RO system.

Chris,

Most RO units have catalytic GAC polishing filters on them. They will definitely absorb sulfides. So that is why your tap water smells fine.

As for the rest of the house, I think anyone in the industry would shrug their shoulders and tell you that 50ppb is the “best you can do” but that doesn’t help when the wife is unhappy. Happy wife/happy life and all that jazz …

Well done on the additional filtration. Sulfur contamination is a beast to deal with and hopefully your aquifer will improve with age. Other than that, your setup is probably the best you can do without blowing out your budget on a 200 gal/day whole house RO system.
Matt,
Thanks for the info. Interesting you mention WH RO. That's going to be the next item I tackle after the pool. Water taste and color are finally very good but we do still have residual tannin's that appear in the toilet bowl after a week or so and accumulations in the toilet tanks. Very easy to clean with just a brush but still an irritant. Wife hates this too but the sulfur ordeal has been so tough she's now just satisfied we finally got the smell out. I've been looking at cobbling together a semi-commercial unit with a single stage well pump, catalytic carbon then cationic softener, then booster to 150 psi inlet to the RO unit to a 200 gal storage tank, then house booster pump with a standard well tank set-up for final connection to the house. This should get rid of my anionic resin need (uses a tremendous amount of salt) and completely remove tannin. Everything I've read indicates RO is really the right treatment. I also think the H2O2 may be overkill with my fancy polishing filter now... will have to test this when wife is away. The whole house RO gets pretty pricey and will run me $4000+ even cobbled together from commercial scale components.

Chris

Yeah, WH/RO is a huge investment. Most professionally installed residential systems will easily be north of $10k and closer to $15k if you want a decent sized storage tank.

I would suggest both a UV sterilizer before the water hits the household plumbing as well as making sure that you remineralize the water with a crushed granite filter. Fully demineralization water will cause havoc with your heaters and metallic fixtures as well as eat up toilet bowl tanks. I don’t know how segmented your plumbing is and if you have the ability to tap water at different points in the filtration system. Either way, it sounds like you’ve got a firm grasp on the fundamentals and it’s just going to be getting the right pieces to the puzzle assembled.

Have you thought about collecting the waste stream water and using it for irrigation? I guess that doesn’t matter as much in wet FL but the waste water from the RO system should be fine for all but the most sensitive plants.

My “fantasy football” water purification system would be a vapor compression distillation system tied into a carbon final polish and sub micron filtration. All id need is a few dozen kilowatts of three phase electrical power and a noise variance from the neighbors allowing the distillation pumps to run as needed … and a full time technician/engineer to keep an eye on the process controls 😂

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.