O/B starting, looking for equipment advice

Just to complete the Ford, Chevy, Dodge vs Pentair, Hayward, Jandy, etc analogy. If you get a Dodge truck you want to get a Dodge engine and transmission. You probably can run a Dodge truck with a Chevy engine and a Ford transmission but it is hard to do. Everything works a lot better when all one brand designed to work together.

Just to complete the Ford, Chevy, Dodge vs Pentair, Hayward, Jandy, etc analogy. If you get a Dodge truck you want to get a Dodge engine and transmission. You probably can run a Dodge truck with a Chevy engine and a Ford transmission but it is hard to do. Everything works a lot better when all one brand designed to work together.

Thats a good way to explain that. There are ways to mix and match different manufacturers products but that would require a great deal of adaptation that would end up being more complicated than necessary and should only be done if it is absolutely required.

Ok all. Hijack is over. Back on topic to the OP.

Another thing to consider on light placement, is whether or not the lights will be facing away from the house. Nothing worse than a bright light in the middle of a window pane.

Great info all! Thank you.
Question: so I'm thinking now, 2 led in the pool and 2 glowbrite by the steps. Does it matter visual/glare wise for the 2 big ones if they are on the same wall or oppose one another (1 on the north wall deep end and one on the south wall shallow)?

I'm sure I'll have more questions. I really appreciate all the feedback!
Nervous,
BK

DE or Ctg filter? My dog wants to know...

I'm debating on ctg and DE filter (Pentair) - I have a lab who - I assume will not leave the water. I have the ctg filter on my list, but haven't purchased it yet - and my neighbor just suggested DE.

- In ground, SWC, 44'x18', 3 VS pumps for features, pool and spa.

Advice appreciated. Thank you.

Re: DE or Ctg filter? My dog wants to know...

My vote is for cartridge, but that's simply 'cause that's what I have?

If you go cartridge, spend $25 on amazon and get the Filter Flosser - makes cleaning the filters a breeze.

One thing to think about with the DE is that they do need to be backflushed. I don't have a good area to flush the water OUT to. With the cartridge I just pop the top, pull the filters off and soak them in TSP + Dawn dishwashing soap every other month.

With you being in CA with your water restrictions I would suggest a cart. filters AND hair nets on the skimmer basket! You can find them on Amazon for very cheap. They work GREAT for dog hair!

Saying that, I LOVE my sand filter as it is SO easy to use-dirty=backwash=done! LOL BUT the water has to go somewhere and you do lose water so......

Kim

I'm debating on ctg and DE filter (Pentair) - I have a lab who - I assume will not leave the water. I have the ctg filter on my list, but haven't purchased it yet - and my neighbor just suggested DE.

- In ground, SWC, 44'x18', 3 VS pumps for features, pool and spa.

Advice appreciated. Thank you.
The idea of what is "best" is generally very subjective, and as Brett points out will generally end up being support for what ever filter the person making the recommendation has. Now, go into a pool store and ask and I bet the answer will end up being the filter with the highest profit margin. I have a sand filter and love mine, but again, that's my opinion based on what i have.

But, with all that being said, you generally want a smaller pump and larger filter. I really like the big honkin triple & quad cartridge filters.

My vote is for cartridge, but that's simply 'cause that's what I have?

If you go cartridge, spend $25 on amazon and get the Filter Flosser - makes cleaning the filters a breeze.

One thing to think about with the DE is that they do need to be backflushed. I don't have a good area to flush the water OUT to. With the cartridge I just pop the top, pull the filters off and soak them in TSP + Dawn dishwashing soap every other month.
I'm gonna have to buy one of those for my spa filter cleaning. I look just like the guy in the video getting soaked just using a hose.

Spa spillway question:
Raised hot tub with stack stone on face and Quartz across the top. Question is should the top Quartz be flat or sloped in towards the inside of the spa to hold water on the Quartz?

I've heard it's better to keep water constantly on the stone (top flat section)

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.