NW Houston-Our story

DaMitch

Gold Supporter
May 16, 2022
Houston/Hockley/TX
Our build Started June 3rd Finish August 18th 2023; This was an amazing process indeed. While we sat back and learned (lurked around) on TFP making sure we got exactly what we wanted and then some. I feel TPF gave us the needed details to make this huge financial decision. Any now we have a place to enjoy with family and friends.

So our story: With what we learned, paper and pencil, we soon realized we need a notebook. Made the calls to pool builders recommended in the area. Booked 12 appt over the next 3 weeks. We interviewed 11 pool companies, exhausting. We did tell each one that we were interviewing other pool builder also. We got same day quotes on a couple, some got back within a week or two for a total of 8 bids. We took all the informations, sorted thru it and narrowed down to 3 companies. All the companies had their own twist on things. Prices were 50K differences-Ouch! Oh, almost forgot, all pool builders said it would be 6-8 month process.

We then narrowed down to 3 bids. Selection was on the salesman, pitch, company, equipment, features, design and so on. We took all designs and tweaked them to make them as close the same as possible. This was to make it a end fair game. We sent the bids back to companies congratulating them, they have made it to the best 3. Telling them "ony your bid and we like to make a few changes' and 'making these changes will put all 3 pool builder inline to make our final decision". One company thru a number out, 5K higher. They other 2 took a couple of days.

The bids now are within 20K of each other for basically the same pool. Wow, profit margins? IDK. We took a few days and examined bids with a fine tooth comb. This was no easy process. We called to see if the builder would be at his office, telling them we would like to look at equipment he would be putting in. We showed up at his office, shook our hands and introduced us to his small office staff. He started walking towards the equipment display, then we stopped him. We said, we are really here because we have decided for your company to build our pool. The look on his face....Priceless!

During the weeks we decided to build, I had already filed for county permits and HOA for generic build. We got a little push from back, blah blah drainage, easements. We got the all cleared up and had approvals. The day before selecting the builder, I went ahead and did an 811 call for line locates. I didn't want any hidden extra fees.

We sat down, discussed it all and got everything we wanted and few extras/upgrades. We did a hard look at the contract we were signing and told him how do we put this motion. He stated once you sign, we can put you on the build schedule (construction progress board) and start permitting. You would think that this would be included, but builders give you the option at a cost. He about fell out of his chair when I told him I already had HOA and County permits. Checkbook in hand, I said when are we starting. He took a peek at the construction board and said I have a canceled spot for gunite in 7 days. He walked over to the other side of the office to talk with a few people. He came back smiling, it just so happened they had a contract they had to put on hold earlier before we got there. The crew that was schedule for that contract had 3 days downtime because of the hold. He then slid us into that spot and would start digging in 2 days.

Two days later in the early am, the knock on the door... TBC

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    570.7 KB · Views: 17
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    597.8 KB · Views: 18