Nursing along an ancient hybrid pool

Strato

May 23, 2023
Wisconsin
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
It’s not often I join new forums but there’s a real wealth of knowledge here! I’m on my third year of living in a home that came with an old hybrid pool in less than great shape.

My better half and I have a young child, so this year care of the pool fell to me. Historicity, someone used the pool place for their “sage” advice. Last summer our young kiddo took priority and the pool got away from us a bit, causing algae to form.

Upon opening this year the algae was back in spades! I skimmed off what I could, better the bottom to the best of my ability and put my Zodiac G3 to work. A couple of 15 hour days later, and nearly 12 filter cleanings later the pool was looking much better.

I’m elbows deep in to slamming the pool currently but am struggling to make headway. I found this site a few days ago and had been relying on YouTube to “super chlorinate” my pool. Thus far the pool has been laughing at my attempts.

Starting out the pool, aside from being green and very dirty was also terribly acidic. I have a re-agent kit from Leslie’s and could not register a proper PH. 12 pounds of baking soda got me to 7.2 which is when I first super chlorinated the pool. I started by adding 13 pounds of cal-hypo, since I’ve learned that wasn’t such a great thing to do when I tested CH, which led me to this site and using liquid after the initial 13 bags of Cal-Hypo.

As it stands now:
PH: 7.4
TA: 110
Chlorine: 4
CC: .5
CH: 470
CYA: 60 (I was trying for 50 but overshot a bit)

Taken from test strips:
TDS: 1500
Nitrates: 10PPM
Nitrites: 0
A phosphate re-agent test kit from Taylor is arriving tomorrow.

My Dolphin robot is running around 7.5 hours a day. The pool has been getting brushed at least once per day, usually twice. Pool is non converted, surrounded by large mature deciduous trees, gets lot of sun and does not have a cover.

I know I’m going to be starting a formal slam tomorrow. Pool Math is recommending 24PPM of FC, is this the right place to start? On 05/17 my FC was at 13PPM. By 05/18 I was down to 7PPM. 05/21/23 FC was at 3PPM one gallon of shock was added. 05/22/23 FC measured 5PPM. I’m know I’m eating chlorine and am wondering if that is a significant chlorine loss of 24 hours? I’m just trying to figure out how much liquid I need on hand and am bummed because I’ve since learned I wasted quite a bit of it already.

I know I need to pass an OCLT test and that’s where I have a real problem. I have a neurological sleeping disorder. It is 100% out of the question that I cannot wake up before the sun rises to perform an OCLT. I’m usually up around 12:00, so that is the earliest I could check and I know that’s not good enough. If I were to add chlorine at 18:30 or so, check the level at 19:30 and come back to recheck an OCLT at 02:30 would that yield a good enough test? Any advice would be welcomed! Thank you.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: It looks like you must have purchased a proper test kit correct? TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C? Be sure to add it to your signature.

For the FC level, with a CYA of 60 your SLAM FC level is 24. Our PoolMath APP's Effects of Adding section can help you with the dosage amount. Consistency in maintaining that key while you attend to the pool is key.

As for the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test, that will make things a bit tricky. Do you have a cover for that pool? Let us know. For now, press-on with the SLAM Process. When it's time for the final OCLT part, get back with us and we'll see what options we might have for you.

Enjoy the forum. :swim:

Reactions: Strato
I’ve got another question. On the fiberglass sides I have rust between the seams. It sounds like people repair that with 3M 5100, is that the correct repair adhesive?

Attachments

• IMG_8581.jpeg
    IMG_8581.jpeg
    369.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8583.jpeg
    IMG_8583.jpeg
    330 KB · Views: 9
My plaster is also failing. I know this pool is on its last legs which makes it hard to justify the cost of a re-plaster. Is there any benefit to painting it get a year or two more out if it, or am I just throwing good money after bad?

Attachments

• IMG_8578.jpeg
    IMG_8578.jpeg
    534.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8585.jpeg
    IMG_8585.jpeg
    387.2 KB · Views: 8
Yes. This pool style was popular 30-40 years ago. A hybrid pool used numerous fiberglass panels on the sides, with sealant between the joints and shallow end stairs, with a gunite bottom. My research shows they were a very ideal choice for Midwest (where I live) climates when they were in production.
Are you sure that's a fiberglass pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.