Numbers perfect, SLAMing for Days, still not clear:(

The link on the DE filter was close enough to make it work, but it sold:(. I’m so bummed that it’s been such a pain this year and I REFUSE to go to the pool store, so I’ve been researching DE filters. I’m going to keep going with adding DE to our sand filter, but curious from anyone that’s made the switch on filter type from Sand to DE and if it’s worth it. It looks like I’d have to have the bigger one. This is what I’ve been looking at... Hayward EC75A Perflex Pool Filter. Thoughts??

Okay, Here’s the latest. Before deciding whether not to buy a new filter system we wanted to change the sand just to make sure that everything was OK. Our filter system and pump seem to be working perfectly but we changed it out just to rule it out in regards to the sand. We have done that today and it is filtering now. Pressure gauge was at 12 and everything looks good. I just tested everything. My free chlorine was down to two but I had intentionally let it drop over the last couple of days. Combined chlorine was at zero, pH is at 7.2, CYA at 40, total alkalinity is at 80, and even though I don’t know if it’s needed the calcium hardness level was at 100. Here are my two current questions. That calcium hardness level seems a bit out of range but from what I read it doesn’t make any difference to my vinyl pool. Ignore it or do something about it? Second question, do I need to SLAM right after adding this new sand or give it 48 hours and see what it does first? Still can only see about 12 inches down into the water. I will post a picture tomorrow when the sun is shining on it again because it makes a big difference. Looks blue in the evening but still looks aqua color in the sunlight. Thanks!

You can leave CH alone, it is fine. Can I ask why you let FC drop so low? That’s just leaving the door open for more algae.

- - - Updated - - -

Your water isn’t clear AND you’ve been below minimum FC for a bit. I recommend you go back to SLAM.

I’ll be honest. I was semi-giving up��. I’ve added enough to get to target of 5 and will start slam tomorrow. And man I’m glad I don’t have to worry with calcium. App said add 17 lbs of something I don’t have!!

Okay, Here’s the latest. Before deciding whether not to buy a new filter system we wanted to change the sand just to make sure that everything was OK. Our filter system and pump seem to be working perfectly but we changed it out just to rule it out in regards to the sand. We have done that today and it is filtering now. Pressure gauge was at 12 and everything looks good.
How did the sand look that you took out?

I just tested everything.
My free chlorine was down to two but I had intentionally let it drop over the last couple of days.
Combined chlorine was at zero,
pH is at 7.2,
CYA at 40,
total alkalinity is at 80,
and even though I don’t know if it’s needed the calcium hardness level was at 100.
Curious why you let FC drop?
PH is perfect for starting and doing a COMPLETE SLAM Process

Here are my two current questions. That calcium hardness level seems a bit out of range but from what I read it doesn’t make any difference to my vinyl pool. Ignore it or do something about it? Second question, do I need to SLAM right after adding this new sand or give it 48 hours and see what it does first?
SLAM Process now =) ESPECIALLY since you added new sand ;)

Still can only see about 12 inches down into the water. I will post a picture tomorrow when the sun is shining on it again because it makes a big difference. Looks blue in the evening but still looks aqua color in the sunlight. Thanks!
Calcium is nice-and-low level for vinyl, though you don't "need" to test for it unless you are getting scaling. Calcium is NOT needed for vinyl, a good PH is =)

I’ll be honest. I was semi-giving up��. I’ve added enough to get to target of 5 and will start slam tomorrow. And man I’m glad I don’t have to worry with calcium. App said add 17 lbs of something I don’t have!!
SLAM Process will take lots of P.O.P. (pool owner patience), don't stop slamming until ALL 3 criteria are FULLY achieved... THEN maintain your FC by adding liquid chlorine daily (recommended levels [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], there is also an app, if you want to check numbers poolside!)

Use a flocking agent unless you live in Arziona and have all year. I had the same problem last year after 2 weeks. I have a short season and it cleared it in 2 days

Moderator comment: We try to avoid the use of Floc as in many cases it causes more problems than it solves

Not super happy with the progress since changing sand. It looks a little bluer but almost more cloudy. Our filter seems to have tons of suction pressure and output pressure. I’m not sure that’s a good thing or not. Old sand to me look to be in very good condition. I know this site isn’t a big fan of adding flocculant but we have done that in previous years and it worked wonders. I’m about to that point to give it a try and do so carefully and make sure it does not get through my filter. We, too, have a very short swimming season and are getting ready to leave on vacation and be gone. I was hoping this would be maintainable for my housesitter but at this point I’m beginning to wonder.

I’m slamming and my free chlorine has on dropped by 1 (16-15) dropped since 7 o’clock this morning. 12:50 now and sunny.

Top picture was Friday; bottom picture is current

E489FE96-D90B-4C98-A3D3-B190ED27FE2A.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
PC, that is major improvement from Friday to today. Cloudy, yes, but blue! You really are very close to getting this done. I hate to see you give up now.

Opinions on adding DE to newly refilled sand filter while SLAMing?
Perhaps near the VERY end of a SLAM when your water is still just a little murky and you don't seem to be able to get that last bit of cloudiness out. Otherwise, it will likely clog your filter too frequently and cause more work than just letting the sand do the job.

It is worth noting that a properly operating sand filter will clean your pool to crystal clear status and keep it there. If (generic) you are not able to get your pool clear with sand, there is something wrong with your methodology or your filter is broken.

Water today is still in the same shape. Blue and cloudy. We are ready to replace our filter system. We are looking at a Hayward Perflex DE pool filter. Can someone advise me if using our current one horsepower pump with a new filter is a good idea or not? I guess the main question is is there anyway our pump is causing the problem of our pool not clearing or does it have to be related to our filter system?

I don't see any way that the pump can be at fault as long as it's moving water well. Is your return reasonably strong? With a 1 hp pump, it should be quite vigorous.

It is worth noting that a properly operating sand filter will clean your pool to crystal clear status and keep it there. If (generic) you are not able to get your pool clear with sand, there is something wrong with your methodology or your filter is broken.

Thank you! I agree with this. It WILL clear the pool, just takes a little longer.

Use a flocking agent unless you live in Arziona and have all year. I had the same problem last year after 2 weeks. I have a short season and it cleared it in 2 days

Moderator comment: We try to avoid the use of Floc as in many cases it causes more problems than it solves

What are the potential negative side effects to a flocking agent? It appears that there is very little if any algae left to kill with chlorine and there has been temptation to buy a new filter over the issue. A bottle of clarifier is $10 and a new filter is $500 (at least that is what the Hayward EC75A Perflex Pool Filter is going for on amazon).

What are the potential negative side effects to a flocking agent? It appears that there is very little if any algae left to kill with chlorine and there has been temptation to buy a new filter over the issue. A bottle of clarifier is $10 and a new filter is $500 (at least that is what the Hayward EC75A Perflex Pool Filter is going for on amazon).

All flocculants actually include the warning to NOT allow them to enter the (any) filter system. They must be vacuumed to waste.

A "simple" clarifier would be an alternate option, BUT if the filter is not operating at optimum performance or is undersized, then the clarifier would only be a "band-aid" on a much bigger issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.