Novice - First Test

Pool Novice2

Silver Supporter
Oct 19, 2016
Long Island, NY
Note: Added bottle of 12.5 "shock" last night. Have CYA sitting in two skimmers in socks (after CYA test results below). Appearance of pool is clean blue in shallow end and a little cloudy blue-green in deep end. Thoughts?

PH 8.2
FC 12.5
CC .5
CH 100
TA 50
CYA 0

Very little. I was reading all the posts about it dissolving slowly...and pouring into skimmer vs not pouring into skimmer... so have two small socks (literally socks) in skimmer. Maybe two handfuls for 26k gall pool. Barely enough to raise it to 10ppm. I know I need much more, but was trying to balance that against adding it too quickly.

Well, you can't test for CYA less than 20-30 depending on your test kit. Use pool math and calculate to add 30 more ppm.

You have wa-a-a-ay too much FC in the pool because your CYA is low. Get the CYA in right away. Your FC should drop below 10 ppm today so test for pH this evening and if it is still above 8.0, bring it down to about 7.5

OK, will do on the cya. Two questions:
1. With my FC so high....why would the pool appear to have a green tint in the deep end.
2. How do I bring down the PH?
Thanks for your help!

Can you tell us a bit more? Was this a fresh fill? Or recovering from winter green? Can you please put your pool information in your signature and how you normally chlorinate?

Have you looked at pool school articles?
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Yes, thanks. I now have signature in bottom and it's SWCG pool. This was a freish fill a few weeks ago, but pool sat unattended for a week or two until electric was hooked up about two weeks ago. Pool Co put in double the necessary salt by accident on start up. I'm down to 4600 now with drain/refill/rain. As noted earlier, FC is over target...but green remains...only in deep end. Thanks.

So, ran another set of tests
PH 7.5
FC 13
CC .5
CH 100
TA 50
CYA...Adding today and waiting until tomorrow or Monday to test again.

I took out my cartridges and cleaned them to clean them of construction dirt/debris, etc....of which there was so much. All closed up, pool running and Polaris is cleaning it. Pool is running on 2900 to keep everything circulating, especially cya that was added to skimmer basket.

So, I have a deep blue liner....shallow end appears clear blue and deep end appears mostly clear aqua green, what are my next steps?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
At thoughts on what to do? FC is high at 13, CYA is being added, but it'll be low for a few days as I keep adding more....not sunny here for next few days. It's a new poool and fill as of two weeks ago. Salt is at 4600 and SWG is running. Cartridges fully cleaned yesterday. How do I tackle green deep end (see pic in last post). Thanks.

Thank you so much. I added more cya this morning. How do I let my FC come down? Should I throw in chlorine neutralizer? My pool is mostly in shade, so not sure chlorine will just burn off.

Chlorine is a consumable in your pool, that is constantly being depleted by oxidizing organics in the pool, and reaction to UV rays (sunlight). This is why we recommend to check it everyday.

Depending on temperature and organic load, you should see a drop of 2-4ppm a day in s clean pool.

Thanks. I know this will question probably sounds pretty dumb...but will FC decline daily without much sun and with a SWCG that is operating regularly? Or should that be shut off? I didn't shut it off sooner, bc even though FC was high...pool was green so wasn't sure what to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Let me add one more comment...FC was been holding steady at 13.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.