Not new but still confused

firstfret

Jul 4, 2021
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
I bought a 26 x 52 Intex Ultra light pool. called Intex and was told I could use saltwater, so I purchased a saltwater system for this pool. One season, every piece rusted. Had to take it down and Intex replaced the who frame. Love the saltwater system but afraid to use saltwater now. Our local pool store has closed and he was such a great help. Still haven't got the pool back up because I know nothing about chlorine or testing the water. Don't know if I have to buy a new pump and filter if I don't use salt because my sand filter and pump and chlorine generator are all hooked together but guess the chlorine generator could be left off? We have well water which contains lots of metal and filling the pool will make it rusty. Just don't know where to start again. I have so much money invested in the pool, electrical and deck just hate to toss it all as a lost cause.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: You mentioned several thing above such as:
- If you wish to set-up and use the pool as a non-salt pool, the equipment doesn't change. Just leave the SWG off. You would then need to add liquid chlorine each day or as needed to maintain the proper FC level noted on the FC/CYA Levels.
- We have thousands of salt pool owners. While we do add some salt for the SWGs, all pools have salt. So before you toss the concept of using an SWG, you might stick around her for a bit to see if you're missing something.
- Your must, absolutely must test your own water with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. It's easy and accurate. Do not rely on free local testing or advice. It's almost always incorrect.

The link below is a great place to reference. Also be sure to update your signature. See mine as an example.