Not clear on SWG unit size for large pool..

Langtry

Jul 17, 2016
Baltimore, Maryland
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So I'm thinking this will be the season I make the switch to SWG. With the price of chlorine being insanely high, and I also like the ease of use "set and forget" of Swg. I've been researching makes, pros, cons. Reading in the forum about sizing the unit 1.5 to 2x the pool size. Ok, so it sounds like I would need 2 units since the largest I'm seeing is 60k gallon? I was considering two40k gallon to get me just over the 1.5x??

In your climate, it is likely a 60K unit will work. With your VS pump, you will run 24 hours per day during June and July.

In your climate, it is likely a 60K unit will work. With your VS pump, you will run 24 hours per day during June and July.
Good to hear a 60k unit may work. Yes, the pump will def run 24/7 through the hottest months. I guess my only other concern was if a 60k unit would be enough to shock the pool after weekly thunderstorms and debris entering, leaves etc. after those storms. I guess I could always supplement with cal-hypo powder shock, or maybe with Swg pools you shouldn't need any powder shock around..

Use liquid chlorine (or cal hypo if you wish to risk a cloudy pool) if you need a FC boost. SWCG is not designed for that.

Use liquid chlorine (or cal hypo if you wish to risk a cloudy pool) if you need a FC boost. SWCG is not designed for that.
Thanks for the help. I had stayed away from liquid chlorine for the past few years only because I needed such large quantities for maintenance and shock, sometimes they wouldn't have enough and I'm driving around to multiple stores etc. But I like your idea of having the Swg and then bumping up FC if needed with liquid chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.