Noisy Hayward Super Pump (<1 year old) w/ Video & Photos

Normally air doesn't make much of a sound but I don't seem much air in the pump basket in the video so no air in the pump basket, no air leak. Plus the noise in the video is very similar to cavitation and when you shut off two of the returns, the noise went away. All of the symptoms point to cavitation. But I am surprised that the smaller impeller did not at least reduce the noise. Can you take a new video now with the two changes you made? Also, what impeller size did you go with?

"But I am surprised that the smaller impeller did not at least reduce the noise."

Yea I forgot to mention that it was reduced but the noise was still there. I went with a 3/4 HP impeller like you suggested. Sorry for the delay in responding back, it has been raining a lot here. I actually redid the suction side plumbing and now the noise has been reduced even more to the point you can barely hear it. With the smaller jets it does a quicker job of keeping the top water clear of pollen etc... The pressure on the filter dropped from 10 to 5, I am guessing the smaller impeller?

I think the old 3 port valve (left) was too small and could of been part of the issue? The new one is the size of the one on the right.

bl2r.jpg

Here is the new video of the pump and new suction side plumbing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C33prFdbg8

Thanks for all your help Mark, I can already tell the pool is running more efficiently.

Yes it does sound better but just a little bit left.

One other thing you could try. Is your filter DE? You could try adding a little extra DE so the filter pressure rises just enough to stop the rest of the cavitation. You probably don't need much.

That could just be something vibrating. Try pushing down lightly on the pump basket or motor and see if the sound changes.

The more DE you add, the more the cavitation will be reduced. But when you added the DE, how much did the pressure rise?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Other than the extra cost, a little extra DE won't hurt anything. But the return pressure is still quite low which is why there is still a little cavitation left. You could try a little more DE to see if that completely eliminates the problem.

Unfortunately, you may need to add a lot more DE to get enough of a pressure rise and you might not want to risk overfilling the filter.

Another solution would be to put a 2-way valve between the filter and first split for the returns so you can adjust the flow rate and eliminate the cavitation. This would be a better long term solution so you don't need the extra DE.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.