No SWG on my AGP?

CBerger02

Aug 10, 2023
Currituck, NC
I was told that I cannot use a SWG on the AGP I purchased. Something to do with the wall material and how much resin is used or not used. Manufacturer also says warranty is void if a SWG is used. How does the corrosion develop in these types of pools?

I was told that I cannot use a SWG on the AGP I purchased. Something to do with the wall material and how much resin is used or not used. Manufacturer also says warranty is void if a SWG is used. How does the corrosion develop in these types of pools?
Water rusts metal. Doesn’t matter if there’s a little salt in it or not. It won’t affect resin or fiberglass.

Reactions: Mdragger88
If it's a warranty issue wait till it expires but that's only if a year or two but more then that I wouldn't worry and get one. It'll rust or it won't with or without it as chlorine is salt also and will have the same effect which is proof they are full of it.

Read your warranty- especially the prorated part which usually starts around yr 3 or so. In general above ground pool warranties are not worth the trouble after proration begins as you are on the hook to ship the thing back/ shipping of the new part before they replace anything which is expensive if it’s the wall.
As mentioned steel walled pools rust because of moisture- its a fact of nature.
In general the pool water shouldn’t really contact the wall much except maybe by the skimmer & most now have stainless steel service panels for that reason. Unless of course you have a leak.
Many manually chlorinated pools end up with enough salt in them to operate a swcg after a few years anyway as all manually added forms of chlorine (liquid chlorine, dichlor, trichlor, cal hypo) add salt to the water, so does acid, calcium chloride, & of course the salty people who use them 😁
What exact pool do you have?
How old is it?

When we were looking at pools last year we went to 2 places, the 1st had pools that weren't salt water ready and the 2nd had salt water ready pools; we just happened to by from the 2nd because they had better pricing. We did get a salt water generator but I think the only real difference in our case is the amount of resin being used. Our bottom track, up rights and top rail are resin but our wall is galvanized steel and there is no stainless steel filter "wall".

I've only seen photos of supposedly non salt ready pools with the corrosion from salt; I can't say they were truthful photos but the top rails were totally eaten away in some places. Steel top rails may be the manufacturers reason for "no salt" but IDK. I suspect new pools are not made as well as they used to be. Seeing people say their pool is rusting after 3 years is a little disheartening.

Reactions: Decoy205
The pool salesman said they offered wo different models, one "rated" for salt water use, the other one, not. I remember him saying something about resin and I think the higher end model had resin uprights and maybe more resin layers in the wall. The model I have is called the Negril and I think the brand is Aquasport. Haven't set it up yet, waiting until next spring.

The pool salesman said they offered wo different models, one "rated" for salt water use, the other one, not. I remember him saying something about resin and I think the higher end model had resin uprights and maybe more resin layers in the wall. The model I have is called the Negril and I think the brand is Aquasport. Haven't set it up yet, waiting until next spring.
The steel walled pools are just galvanized steel with a coating (some are thicker gauge steel than others) the resin part applies to top rails, uprights & bottom/top tracks. The only all resin pool (walls & all that I am aware of is the Saltwater Aurora sold at the pool factory.com.
It is a Sun Sports pool which is a Wilbar company .

So, in the end, you have to decide how much you want to safeguard your warranty - and how would you execute said warranty? It‘s not like you could box up the pool and send it back.

Ridiculous to have this restriction.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.