No Suction

msp3017

May 9, 2023
Massachusetts
Hello, yesterday I opened the pool. I went through the same procedure I do every year. When I turned the pump on for the first time, I heard a loud clank noise that sounded like it could have come from the pump. I now have very low pressure coming out of the returns and no suction in the skimmers. However, when I put the multiport valve in the waste position, skimmer suction is fine and water comes out of the hose normal. One thing to note, but I'm not sure this has anything to do with it, I accidentally turned the pump on when all the ball valves to the lines were still closed. I immediately noticed it however and quickly turned the pump off.

Pool is inground salt with Hayward VS pump and Hayward sand filter (just changed the sand). 2 skimmers, 3 returns.

Thank you for any help/ advice!

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.
Does your multiport valve have a circulate setting on it? This would have suction from the pool and return to the pool but bypass the filter. Does the returns have good flow and does the skimmers have good suction?
Did you prime the pump by filling it with water the first time?

Herman, thank you for your reply. My multiport does have a circulate setting. When I put it to circulate and ran the pump, I had good pressure at returns and good suction at skimmers. When I put valve back to filter everything was working fine. I am good to go. Thank you for responding. Much appreciated!

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.