No spa overflow - Missouri pool

Missouripoolexp

May 3, 2024
st louis, MO
We are at the tail end of our pool construction. We have a gunite pool and raised spa. The pool and the spa each have their own pool equipment/filter set up so that we can winterize the pool and keep the spa open. We have recently had a lot of rain in the area. The pool has an overflow set up, so the water stays at a normal level. However, we recently learned the spa does not have an overflow set up. Recent rain put the water level at the top of the spa and it does not go down. We asked our pool builder about the spa overflow and he said their isn't one. They said "a cover will solve this". We were not planning to use a cover during the summer so we can enjoy the lights and aesthetics of the spa and pool. Is no overflow for the spa normal, or did our pool builder make a mistake? Any suggestions or remedies?

Use a submersible pump to transfer spa water into the pool when the spa water level gets too high.

M,

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing..

When you have a single set of equipment, the spa spills over into the pool.

When you have two sets of equipment, the spa does not spillover into the pool.

To keep the water level in a pool from getting too high, an overflow port is often installed, generally as an option.

It would make sense that if you have a standalone spa, that it would be nice for it to have an overflow port, but not sure it is very common.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thoughts and info so far! To answer the questions, the spa looks connected to the pool, but it is on it's own system. It has a waterfall "spill-over", but this is actually water circulated from and back into the pool to give an appearance of a spill-over, but still a separate system. Not sure what equipment pictures are most useful, but I have included a couple here. I've also included a couple pictures of the pool and spa. We had a bunch of rain yesterday and you can see that the spa is at a high level while the pool water level is normal.

Attachments

• Pool and spa 2.jpg
    Pool and spa 2.jpg
    889.5 KB · Views: 24
  • spa picture.jpg
    spa picture.jpg
    802.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Pool equipment.jpg
    Pool equipment.jpg
    694.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Pool equipment 2.jpg
    Pool equipment 2.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 20
M,

Thanks for the pics.. Very nice set up you have...

Many pools are built without an overflow port, so not sure I'd say it was the builder's mistake that there is not one in the spa.. Obviously, looking back now, it would have been better to have one..

I only see two options...

1. Work with the pool builder and see what he can do for you. Maybe pay half or ??? to add an overflow on the back side of the spa. Might not look pretty, but maybe the can disguise it.

2. Install a 3-way valve at the spa equipment pad, so that you can dump the excess water. You might even be able to automate it..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I assume you will also have a similar concern with adding water to the spa, unless they put in a separate fill line just for the spa. Filling and draining excess from the spa certainly are not terrible problems, but ones you would hope the builder would have thought through on a new build.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
An overflow pipe could have been installed during construction, this is typical on pools that are at + elevation continuously around the pool.
At this point in time, the installation would create a lot of removal and remodeling of the spa, that’s something to consider.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support