No Power to Heater

drb116

Sep 17, 2023
Florida
I have a Pentair Easy Touch controller and a Pentair Mastertemp 250 gas heater. Everything had previously worked fine, however I went to turn the heater on recently and got nothing at the heater panel.

Tracing it back, it looks like the issue may be at the Easy Touch Controller, as there is no low voltage output at the terminals regardless of whether the controller is in heater mode or off. Everything else is working fine.

Is there a relay or fuse specifically for the heater, or could it be that the programming got screwed up somehow? All the relays appear to be on.

I would check for power to the heater. My heater panel is always powered regardless of the automation settings. The automation uses a low voltage trigger to call for heat but the heater is always on.

I would check for power to the heater. My heater panel is always powered regardless of the automation settings. The automation uses a low voltage trigger to call for heat but the heater is always on.

A MasterTemp heater works differently and there is no power to the control panel when the fireman's switch is open and the automation is not calling for heat.

I have a Pentair Easy Touch controller and a Pentair Mastertemp 250 gas heater. Everything had previously worked fine, however I went to turn the heater on recently and got nothing at the heater panel.

That is normal when the MasterTemp fireman's switch is open and there is no call for heat by the EasyTouch.

Tracing it back, it looks like the issue may be at the Easy Touch Controller, as there is no low voltage output at the terminals regardless of whether the controller is in heater mode or off. Everything else is working fine.

The EasyTouch does not provide any voltage. The heater control is a simple ON/OFF relay that closes the firemans switch circuit.

24V comes from the MasterTemp heater and the firemans switch simply breaks the circuit.

Is there a relay or fuse specifically for the heater, or could it be that the programming got screwed up somehow? All the relays appear to be on.

Open up the side of the heater and find the firemans switch connection.

Disconnect the two wires running to the EasyTouch and connect the two wires from the heater together.

If the heater then turns on from its control panel the heater is fine and your problem is in the wire connection to the EasyTouch or the relay on the ET board.

Pentair_MasterTemp_Firemans_Switch.jpg

Thanks @ajw22! That was very helpful, and as I suspected, the issue is not with the control panel but with the heater. Overriding the firearm switch didn't help anything.

It is getting power at the box and I confirmed that it is getting 24 volt power at the heater control panel, but no lights, no diagnostics, nothing. I also checked the fuse and that was fine. Any other obvious places to check before calling in for service?

How old is your MasterTemp?

Does it have a 5 button keypad or 6 button keypad?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.