No More Maintainance Pool Shutdown?

Well so far we have a market size of zero, no one has yet indicated they would like to have a temporary pool removal.
I would point out that some or all of the attractiion is reclaiming the space taken up by the pool, in some homes the pool
takes up the entire backyard, and so converting a pool into a swamp does no good. And also there is liability that people
can drown in a pool, even with a fence, which itself is something to eliminate with a 'pool removal'.

Interesting that a patent seems quite feasible as it clearly it is not an 'obvious' solution, yet it is simple.

Well so far we have a market size of zero, no one has yet indicated they would like to have a temporary pool removal.
I would point out that some or all of the attractiion is reclaiming the space taken up by the pool, in some homes the pool
takes up the entire backyard, and so converting a pool into a swamp does no good. And also there is liability that people
can drown in a pool, even with a fence, which itself is something to eliminate with a 'pool removal'.

Interesting that a patent seems quite feasible as it clearly it is not an 'obvious' solution, yet it is simple.

I suspect that the audience at this site is skewed far toward those who like their pools for swimming, and are looking for the best way to keep them clear. People who don't want to deal with a pool at all are not researching optimal methods of chemical maintenance; they're either paying someone or letting it go, and grumbling about it either way.

If you really have an innovative idea that's better than what people are doing today, I would say patent it so you can tell us more :)

^i agree, the lack of interest at BBB is not significant in terms of market ;)

But demographically, there are a lot of people "aging in place" who don't seem as interested in maintaining a pool in their sunset years, so I would suspect the market is ripe.

I know someone in her 80s who lives a few hours from me who has let her pool completely go for the last decade and now recovery would include mechanical work. I know at least two other seniors who sold their homes explicitly because they no longer wanted to maintain their pools. THAT is the market, and the poster would do better to talk to real estate agents ;)

When my husband and I purchased this property a few years ago, we called it "the death house" because its our intent to die here (its a ranch, with a separate pool house that is a quasi-separate residence...if its financially viable, it would be conceivable to age out here with help ;))

But the pool *could* one day pose a problem...though I'm not sure I want to be around if I'm not able to manage it ;) But in consideration of this, I have looked at the "deck-over" systems, etc. I've also considered going solar while young enough to pay for a system that would make the energy footprint more viable for a retiree (we do spend a lot heating our shaded pool, both in season and to extend the season. We don't mind the expense now, but there could come a day when we would.)

My point is that the idea, whatever it is, is likely viable and likely as increasing market potential as people age, and try to age-in-place.

But I suspect the last pools standing when those of us on this thread are in our sunset years will be COLLECTIVELY OURS...because most of the folks I know who found their pools too much a hassle to maintain did not have Trouble Free Pools :)

I agree entirely with Swampwoman's comments. I think there would be a market for the product, but that this forum is not the best place to look for potential customers.

I'm not clear, by the way, on whether the innovation is a product (potential DIY?) or whether a service would be required? In other words would it be necessary to hire someone to mothball your pool, and later to bring it back to life? If the latter, what happens with liability (e.g. what if pumps, etc. don't want to run properly 5 years later when the pool is reopened)?

Very good points swampwoman, real estate agents or their websites would be a good place to gauge the market.
And you make a good point, as retires can mothball the pool, but restore it once the house is passed on to a young family
in the future.

This could be done DIY, but my guess most will just want to have someone else do it.
So a question would be who would do it.
Maybe lawn care people would be the service group to do the work.

If you have a way to dispose of a saturated brine, you can add salt to this pool water. It will be fee of algae and will nor freeze. It will be safe to use as it is no patogen that will survive for long in saturated brine. Salt is not expensive, but you will need a lot in order to saturate the pool water.

Very good points swampwoman, real estate agents or their websites would be a good place to gauge the market.
And you make a good point, as retires can mothball the pool, but restore it once the house is passed on to a young family
in the future.

This could be done DIY, but my guess most will just want to have someone else do it.
So a question would be who would do it.
Maybe lawn care people would be the service group to do the work.

One thing to remember, start your patent process as soon as possible. Once you tell others, the game changes.

Oh, and you do not need a market to get an idea patented. I have 12 patents and only ever sold about 1/3 of them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nimble, two additional thoughts...
#1 - surveying senior homeowners with pools...you can acquire targeted data on same (not cheaply)
#2 - once patented, still think pool techs are the most logical choice to perform the work...they're onsite to know whose ready to be done...and if they can profit from the mothball procedure (could also market same to foreclsure entities eg fanny mae/Freddie Mac) there's a better chance they'd adopt it ... They just wouldn't likely actively market it for obvious reasons :)

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, whie you're inventing things, I would still pay good cash for an "automagic" system that effortlessly turns my in-ground into a skating rink in winter ;) No easy way to store the panel system you can get.

Once I get old(er), I'd just hire a local teen at $10/hr to maintain it. It takes me about an hour per month, plus about $50 worth of chemicals. If I'm too old to enjoy it, I'll be in a nice retirement home or community, and will sell it with the house. There are people that buy houses for the pool, should be a plus. I went 60 years without a pool thinking they would be a real pain and I'd never use one. Bought my dream home that just happen to have a pool, was paying a company $140/mo. to maintain until I stumbled on this great site, now it looks better and is not very expensive to maintain, and I'm in it 3 or 4 times a week. Also a great lure for grand kids! For this site, you need to invent things like Poolskim and Auto-cleaners...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.