No Gas in Hayward pump

skygremlin

Apr 20, 2012
Orange County, CA
I have a Hayward 400 pool heater, that's not running. I took a look at it the other weekend and doesn't seem to be gas coming out of the gas valve. I checked the input and there is gas and pressure coming in. But seems to stop there. Not really sure where to go from here.. Can this whole part go bad on me?

Was working fine.. I had it part of my daily morning auto run for a couple of minutes.

NO error codes on the display? A few things. Make sure the knob on the gas valve inside the heater is set to the ON position. Then the next thing to check is if the gas valve ever clicks to open when the system tells it to. You can put your hand on the gas valve and feel or hear a click and that can indicate if the valve is getting the signal to open up. Yes this part can and does fail.

Does the system go thru the normal startup process? Fan kicks on and then after a short time it clicks into a different speed? Also, if you let it cycle thru the start up process, after three attempts it should display an error code on the it.

Shoot forgot to put in the error code in the initial post. I'll run out tomorrow to verify (if weather isn't bad), but from memory..

- Error Code: LO
- The inside Gas knob is set to on. I did try to toggle it to off and back a couple of times
- It sounds like a normal startup - fans start and run. I don't hear the 3 attempted cycles though and no click.. To be fair I was listening for the ignition click which I'm sure that's a bit later in the start cycle from what you are suggesting....

Normally I smell gas during start, starting, and running.. I don't smell anything now.

LO is Limit Open. Probably the pressure switch or a high limit switch. Pressure switch might be low pressure due to low flow or a bad pressure switch.

If a high limit is open, it's bad.

Sometimes the heater turns on the fan without trying to start when the pressure switch opens. I don't know why.

What rpm is the pump set to?

What is the filter pressure?

I'll try to run thru the full process hopefully makes sense and is helpful.. I have a link of a video below for what I'm describing.

- With the system in maintenance mode - from controller in back
- I start the pump - Sounds like the pump stays in it's "Priming speed" I think thats typical when I run maint. on it..
- The start the heater - from controller in back
- The heater registers a temp (at least you see the number change)
- The fan starts in the heater
- I don't hear any clicks
- the Heater shows LO error
- The fans shut off
- Turn heater off from pool controller -> then back on seems to repeat process

Video is 60MB:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27116700/2017-02-20_Hayward_H400FDN_no_Gas.mov

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Double check the wiring between the heater and your automation system. I would also for the heck of it, disconnect that from the heater putting it back to the factory config and see if the heater works manually. If the wiring between the two has an issue, it would present you with a LO error as well. I think this could be your issue.

From automation, can you select Pool heater or Spa heater?

A remote switch can be put in the limit loop but the heater would show LO every time the switch opened.

Based on the available information, it looks like the heater is being controlled by a three wire remote to a Jandy AquaLink RS. Is that correct?

Do you set the temperature from the heater control panel or Jandy control?

@ JamesW

Yes that's how I was testing it in the video..

that is correct we have a Jandy AquaLink RS inside the house we use to control the pool equipment... I believe I set the temps from the remote..

A bit of back story. Roughly 6 or 7 (most likely more) month's back I did a reset on the whole unit, from that remote in the house. This included pump run times, and heater temps. Reason being the main pump was starting and stopping randomly.. Would start during non-programmed times, and stop during program times..

Part of the reconfig was setting all the pumps (3 additional from main) and heater to run every morning for about 5 minutes. The heater runs for a minute or two. I was randomly checking after and everything was operating as expected heater included... Then got busy and lost track...

- - - Updated - - -

@ps0303

OK - You don't by any chance have a procedure for setting this back to factory config do you?

- - - Updated - - -

sorry if my replies are jumbled... Trying to do this while putting the twins down for bed....:rolleyes:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.