No flow from returns

bware

Platinum Supporter
Apr 7, 2015
The Woodlands, TX
After the Texas blizzard, trying to get back running. When main pump is turned on, I have flow in both skimmers, Polaris up and running, falls flowing, but nothing from any of the 4 returns in pool. Cleaned filters before attempting restart and pressure is about 5 lbs higher than normal. Thoughts?

If I interpret your picture correctly, you are set up in Pool Mode with all flow going to the pool returns and what appears to be a spillover return for the spa with a check valve. So you are saying all flow is only going to the spa? I assume the suction side is coming from the pool?

If so, first, try manually flipping the toggle switch on the actuator for your return. See if that moves. If so, let it cycle completely to closing off the pool return. See what your flow looks like. Then reset the toggle switch to as you found it. See what happens.

B,

I agree with Marty.. Your Return valve is set to send all the water to the spa and nothing to the pool.

It looks like you are in the Spillway mode, or your return valve is bad or not set correctly..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ok, I think you have it right on the setup. Turned pool on and let it run a minute or so then switched to toggle on the return side (left in picture). Checked back at the pool and nothing changed. All flow is from spa and seems like more flow than normal from spillway, but nothing from any of the 4 pool returns. There is minor leakage from return actuator that is new, can’t tell if from pipe joint or valve itself. Bad actuator valve or something else?

Did you return the toggle to how it was originally?

Should not be any leakage from the valve. May want to remove the actuator and check for cracks. When the actuator is off, try moving the valve manually. If you are not getting any change in flow regardless how the valve is set, then something is wrong with it internally.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Finally got my pool guy, replaced pentair diverter valve started pool up and main pump motor started to howl and then smoke... great... motor has been replaced once in 15 years so he suggested replacing motor AND pump this time due to the age of pump. That’s supposed to happen today. Just hope that’s all!
Thanks for all your help and advice.

Are you replacing with another SS motor/pump? Now is the time to put in a VS motor/pump. They will be required after July 2021 for any new or replacement pool pump motors.

My pool guy isn’t a big fan of V/S pump/motors for whatever reason
People know what they know in any trade and you’d be hard pressed to convince any of them to change.

The pex/copper debate rages on 20 years later as well. Plenty of time for things to fail and prove it unworthy yet many plumbers still won’t touch it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.