No flow from filter return

Jun 5, 2013
Happy 4th of July my fellow pool folks!

I've got the day off of work, and figured I might sink a little time into a new mystery on my pool. Quick setup:

My pool has 2 suction pipes which Tee into the pump motor basket. A drain pipe and a skimmer pipe. Water is pumped through a sand filter, then a SWG cell which I installed last year. (Love the convenience of salt!) This season had a bit of a radical pool update, got a new liner in. I'm excited that my hard work in keeping the pool chemistry clear now shows off a beautiful liner. I'll post before & after pics soon, my old liner was gross. Friends likely thought I wasn't doing a great job with chemistry which is why the pool looked blah.

Back to the task at hand! From the SWG the plumbing Tees into two return pipes. A 'Deep End' and a 'Shallow End' labeled pipe. My pool is 4' uniform depth, but I take this to mean the return on the steps side of the pool vs. the pool on the far end. The return on the steps side has almost 0 pressure coming out. While the deep end return is a raging torrent. I don't remember if this happened last year, but I'm pretty sure this event is new to this season. Important note I did NOT block off the returns this year. I didn't 'close' the pool as I have in the past. My pool has been losing 1/2 its water every winter. I blamed the old liner, and knowing I was going to replace the liner (& half lazyness) drained the pump equipment and left the pool uncovered alone.

That's my setup, the symptoms are this: There is SOME flow from the shallow return, but I can easily hold my hand over the outlet. When I do, eventually some pressure builds up behind my hand (within 10 seconds) and every time air bubbles come out. Not a lot of air, but every time there is air. Pump basket has full prime, no swirling air, no air trapped in SWG cell. This is odd behaviour. I CANNOT block the deep end return with my hand, it pushes water too hard. Oddly even when I try to (and succeed in) at least restrict the flow at the deep return, that makes no change on the shallow return. The deep return is an estimated 60+ feet of pipe from the filter, the shallow (non-flowing return) is approx 10' from the filter.

Figuring a critter made a nest or something in the pipe I jammed a stick back, but only goes in about 8" before it hits a 90 degree in the plumbing. Doesn't feel like debris, but rather a hard stop in the PVC. I don't understand why I'm getting air bubbles, or why I have minor pressure, but no change when blocking the flowing return. Your thoughts are welcome!

Perhaps of note, or perhaps nothing, I've had to add water twice in the past 2 weeks. (Skimmer was drawing air) I've almost never added water to my pool in the swim season, even when I thought my pool was leaking. My boys are much more active this year (advanced swimmers now), as are friends coming and playing. I blame this on splash out/dry spell...but I wonder if this return could be leaking/drawing air? Very strange. I feel PVC cutting/dirt digging is in my future.

Thanks.

Put a plug in the deep end return and see how it changes the shallow end return. If you have a leak in the shallow end return it should increase the leak and maybe help you find it.

I have a threaded PVC plug that fits the returns. I've considered installing it into the deep end return, but haven't yet for fear of upsetting things. It seems that's the only place for the filter to pump currently. But as I figure things may get catastrophic here soon, perhaps that will force my hand. Currently raining pretty good here, should let up soon, then I may try to break something.

Alright, undoubtedly have a significant pool leak. We had 2/3" of rain this week and the water level is below the skimmer opening. Was at the optimum skimmer level as the week started. Again, I've added water to my pool maybe 5 times of the 10 seasons I've been here. This year alone I've added it 3 times in as many weeks. I'm done kidding myself about heavier swim traffic causing the drain.

Combined with the failed pool return, I'm mostly convinced the return has broken/disconnected pipe underground. Is this a likely issue? Again, this is the return that I capped off about 2 seasons ago and ran the pump for a week. Unsure if that compromised something with excessive pressure in the pipes. I'm almost convinced I need to start digging. Concrete slab appears to be 5" thick, return is 20" below the top of the concrete, roughly 15" under dirt. Concrete extends 3' from the pool. If it is leaking likely digging 2' down midway between the return and the pump might show saturated ground either closer to the pump or the pool. Not really excited at the prospect of blindly digging in the middle of July.

Called my buddy who installed the liner. He suggested turning off the pump and squirting food coloring in front of the return. Even squirting food coloring into the return pipe, it didn't draw it back into the pipe. He did warn that it could be a leak that really only occurs under pressure. But my theory was more of a massive break in the plumbing. If it is only squirting out water under pressure I'd expect moderate flow from the return, but again, I have approximately 2% flow rate from that return, and 150% from the other. Ballpark numbers trying to emphasize that the other return is pumping hard, and the shallow return does feel like water is flowing out, but only barely.

More testing results. I plugged the deep end (well flowing return) with a threaded 1 1/2" PVC plug which matches the return eyelet threads. I just installed a new pressure gauge on the multivalve to check what result this had. Normal operation is 18 psi with a cleaned pump basket/backflushed filter. When plugging the deep end return it ramped up to about 25 psi. The pump sounded different. The shallow end return still had meager 2% flow. (Barely noticeable until you cover the outlet with your hand, and slight pressure builds against your palm.)

I was curious if there is a broken pipe causing an underground water spring, however I turned on my SWG and the bubbles all collected in the cell. There was a slight current which drew a few of the lower bubbles/scale down through the pipe, however mostly the cell turned cloudy with rising bubbles. This indicates the plumbing to this return is nearly 100% restricted.

I'm very upset with how quickly my pool is losing water, haven't determined what that is all about yet. May try a few over night water loss tests. Measuring level at a precise hour interval and doing a normal operation run vs one with both returns capped and the skimmer/bottom drain valves shut.

Data point, 8pm, 77 degrees ambient. Both returns capped, skimmer/drain valves closed. Plan on checking water level at exact same spot tomorrow morning at 7pm. Curious to see if it holds level. Solar cover is applied, evening evaporation should be minimal.

Attachments

• IMG_20190706_200350957.jpg
    IMG_20190706_200350957.jpg
    508.7 KB · Views: 0
Data point, 7am, 73 degrees ambient. Looks like we're at the 13/16" mark. Last night was 10/16". Loss of 3/16" in 11 hours. Or roughly 3/8" in 24 hrs, likely more under heavy sun. That seems very excessive. Unfortunately I fear my new liner is leaking.

Attachments

• sketch-1562498809027.png
    sketch-1562498809027.png
    783.8 KB · Views: 1
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.