NO FC-pool store said phosphates present

Did not mean to come off as "aggressive" .. sorry about that.

Add enough bleach to get the FC up around 10ppm (does not need to be exact) ... then you need to let it circulate for an hour and test the FC level you acheived. That will be the number you compare to in the morning.

Don't worry you will get there soon, you are already several steps ahead of the average new pool owner. We are all glad to help here, and like Jason said we don't mean to come off as rude, but things tend to be busy here this time of year and the more direct and to the point we are the more questions we can answer from more people needing help in the limited time we each have to volunteer.

On a side note where was the photo in your avatar taken?

Ike

I did the OCLT, the first test at 8:15, before I read to add bleach to bring FC level up to 10ppm, it was 2.5 (FC) 1.5 (CC). At 10.25pm after adding bleach and running pump for 1 hr FC 13 and CC 1. At 8:10 this morning FC 10 & CC 1. I did CYA test again to make sure I did it correctly and it's 35 (right between 30 & 40) I'm going to get some stabilizer to bring it up. There is some dirt/sand and a few leaf pieces on the bottom (don't have vacuum yet) should I still slam it? How long do I slam? How do I know when it's done? My water is perfectly clear, except for some brown collecting at a couple spots at seams on the bottom. When I brush it, it looks like dust and disappears.

Thanks guys!!! I think I finally get it! As I was doing the FAS-DPD throughout the day I did see the CC go down. It was bearly pink. I have not ran the SWG all day. I just put the last dose of bleach in, gonna let it run an hour and do it again in prep for OCLT. I did add 1/2 the recommended stabilizer, sorry, I did not see the post to hold off. It was up to 50 at last check.

I was confused about the difference between FC & CC but like I said I'm a hands on learner, don't think I'd get it just by reading. I have to actually do it.

There is a boost cycle on the SWG should I have been using it at start up?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The boost cycle just runs your SWG at max. Really not good since SLAMing requires quickly introducing a lot of chlorine fast and maintaining the level. It's also heck on the SWG's cell and can lead to early failure.

You can run the SWG during a SLAM when not conducting an OCLT, it can help maintain the FC level, but usually it's better to just leave it off and stay on top of things with bleach. Saves usage on the cell.

Donldson said:
You can run the SWG during a SLAM when not conducting an OCLT, it can help maintain the FC level, but usually it's better to just leave it off and stay on top of things with bleach. Saves usage on the cell.

Good point!

The OCLT showed no chlorine loss last night! Yay!! (Even with rain)

Here are current stats:

FC 13
CC <.5
TA 80
CH 170
CYA 50
pH 7.5
Salt. 3390
Below is according to the Intex SWG manual:
MIN. IDEAL. MAX
FC. 0. .5-3ppm. 5.0 ppm
CC. 0. 0. 0.2
pH. 7.2. 7.4-7.6. 7.8
TA. 100. 100-140. 140
CH. 150. 200-400 500-1000
CYA. 10. 20-40. 50
Salt. 3000

Should I follow that? If so where do I begin? What do I fix first?

Thanks once again,
Barb

Thank you Jason. I didn't know what to set the goals at in the calculator.

Also, the very first time I bought the CYA the pool store told me to just dump it into the pool. The second time I bought it (yesterday), the guy asked me if I knew how to use it, guess he didnt remember me, he told me to put it in the skimmer. I did not, put it right in the pool and brushed it around to try to dissolve it. Where should I put it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.