No drain or drain and acid wash? Commercial pool

Ricewoodscott

Mar 31, 2018
Katy
I work in the industry for commercial pools. Neighborhood pools mostly. Will you pick up a pool that's what's replastered in January, but the company that did it did nothing for the start up. There's tons of scale deposits all over the plaster. It's just white plaster, nothing fancy. It needs to be acid washed, I just don't know whether or not we should drain it and acid wash it or hot start it. Any advice? The pool is 125,000 gallons.

Reactions: 98Poolmaster
I work in the industry for commercial pools. Neighborhood pools mostly. Will you pick up a pool that's what's replastered in January, but the company that did it did nothing for the start up. There's tons of scale deposits all over the plaster. It's just white plaster, nothing fancy. It needs to be acid washed, I just don't know whether or not we should drain it and acid wash it or hot start it. Any advice? The pool is 125,000 gallons.
I would only accept that pool as a client if it was understood that you are not responsible for a bad start up, the damage is done. A "hot start" would have helped, but that pool is way beyond start-up.
You could try this product, it has proven very useful in this type of situation even this long after a fill, but will cost them plenty.
1712264529893.png

I would only accept that pool as a client if it was understood that you are not responsible for a bad start up, the damage is done. A "hot start" would have helped, but that pool is way beyond start-up.
You could try this product, it has proven very useful in this type of situation even this long after a fill, but will cost them plenty.
View attachment 562382
The scale is calcium carbonate from plaster curing it was never removed after initial start up it now will be very difficult to remove.
An acid wash may be the only way to solve the issue although not recommended
The start up process was not done correctly or at all in my opinion

Polishing the areas of most common contact (steps, seats, shallow end) will give you the most control over the outcome of the finished surface.
I would only recommend this if you're pressed on time and don't want to go trough the hassle of washing every surface, it's not good practice but you'll get away if you only do it once in a while

Pictures?

You might be able to lower the pH enough to dissolve the scale with a lot of brushing.

Make sure to have the customer acknowledge all issues and all risks involved so that you do not end up being liable for the bad plaster.

Note: Low pH will attack metals like in heaters, lights, light niches, rails etc.

Take the system offline, remove any rails and then drop the TA to zero and brush a lot.

Give it a maximum of 12 hours and then brush again and restore the TA with baking soda.

Note: This is just an opinion and not a recommendation or advice.

You take all responsibility for any decisions you make and any actions you take.

There are many risks associated with any procedure and the procedure might not help and it might cause more problems than it solves.

Last edited: