Jun 4, 2021
San Dimas, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi TFP,

I currently do not have any CYA in my pool due to heavy rain here in SoCal and having my pool overflow and partially draining it several times as my pool gets filled up with rain water.

So, the last year I have decided to move to liquid chlorine because my CYA levels were off the charts, I think it was at 80ppm. So avoiding pucks help me not add more CYA into my pool.

Now that I have no more CYA, I want to SLAM my pool before the summer season starts. SLAMing requires a ton of liquid chlorine, which I have already purchased and ready to do. After SLAMing I want to go back to using pucks again as they are convenient.

My plan is to add stabilizer to 30ppm (minimum for my pool size), then SLAM, after SLAM is complete I start using pucks and I have room for the CYA in the pucks to continue to add increase in my pool to a maximum of 50ppm.

Does that seem like a good idea or should I just stick to liquid chlorine? If I stick to liquid chlorine, I'll raise my CYA levels to 40ppm.

I am only SLAMing just because I am "opening" my pool. It just doesn't have any chlorine, because it was too cold to swim so I just neglected to add chlorine.
OK then. We see alot of folks dumping chlorine or various shocks in all Willy Nilly like this time of year. SLAM is a controlled process. 'SLAM Process'

It has very specific details which need to be followed. If there was no need to SLAM, it's over quick and you can move forward knowing you're clear. (y)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.